Chapter Thirty-One

Umm... sorry?

A lot of stuff happened and than there was this and that and then it was already Monday and I was like WHAAAT? So here you go... chapter 31 guys xD

PS: truth is I haven't found any inspiration for these past days but then I just randomly had this awesome dream and I woke up like: "There's my chapter 31"! I hope that the inspiration will come back but it would seriously be awesome if you could send me some feed back! <3 Love you guys :)

-Sophia xoxo

...°...

My veins pound wildly against the inside of my skull. My face feels otherwise numb. I can't think - I can't remember - I don't know if I even want to remember. Not if the past left me in this state. My whole body is aching and I move against the hard surface underneath me, but something holds me still. I wrestle against something cold and metallic and bump my wrists against it.

The bright light bores right into my eyes and seems to burn holes in my retina, and for several seconds black spots appear in my vision, leading me to the conclusion that I'm blind. I rattle uncontrollably until my eyes adjust to the luminous space around me. I find myself in a completely white room: white tiles cover the floor, blank plastered walls and white foreign beeping machines are the only present 'decoration' in the room. It all looks too sterile to seem familiar, without any personality or indication as to where I might be. 

I look downwards where several metallic-looking cuffs are binding me painfully to the hard rock surface. My body is covered in a plain sheet thrown neatly over me, leaving no view of the rest of me besides my neck and face. For a moment I wonder if I don't actually have a body anymore and I'm somehow dreaming from still living brain cells in my dead body. Because I'm supposed to be dead. Aren't I?

"Enjoying your stay?"

My heart jolts back with surprise when the familiar voice fills my ears and sends a painful ringing through my head. With my hands strapped beside me, the only thing I can do to endure it is squeeze my eyes shut and bite back the excruciating agony the sound gives me. Every part of me feels so sensitive, and I'm worried that my ears might go deaf from those simple words. Suddenly, a hard hand grips my chin in a forceful manner and I see his face - that face- in the lines between my half-shut eyes.

"When I ask you a question," he hisses, anger evident in his tone, "I expect an answer."

I remain impassive as he grips harder, shove the pain to the back of my mind and fix him straight in the eyes.

"Hello, Liam." Liam's face contorts into surprise before he sends his hand flying across my face, and I feel the impulse of the slap throbbing painfully on my cheek.

"Don't you dare. Not after what you did to my father. You are lucky to be alive." He retorts, turning his back to me and walking towards a monitoring machine. He presses some buttons and turns a handle and a sharp sting surfaces in my left arm. I crane my neck at an awkward angle and see the translucent liquid flowing through the nearly-invisible tube that bores into my arm and stretches out towards a big sort-of-plasticky looking container. The lid is sealed but the glass around it leaves it open to view to the same liquid draining little by little into my body.

I chuckle humorlessly and he sends me a surprised glance, arching a perfect eyebrow. "I doubt that death is much worse than this." I see his jaw twitch and I lay my head back, fixating my eyes on a random spot in the bright hospital-like light.

If it wasn't a crucial life or death situation I would characterize the stretching silence between us as awkward. Even more awkward than the time when he broke into my bathroom and saw me in a towel. The only thing that was covering my body. Ironically, the sheet across me is serving as the same purpose, the only difference being that I can't move it or tighten it to my preference. A sudden and unwanted blush threatens to creep up and I feel my cheeks turn a million shades pinker at the thought.