Chapter Four

Hey guys

! Here's the 4th chapter as promised :-) Please comment, vote and share! <3 Hope you like it!

-Sophia xoxo

...°...

I keep on searching for any sign of Jay's figure from the safe premises of the inside of my home, but turn around with barely-controlled anger when I catch none. 

He's just evaporated. Poof! Gone. 

Who does he think he is? 

"What was that about?" Alice's voice calls from the kitchen where she's seated by the island counter. I walk towards her through the light and rustic hallway and swing myself onto a barstool next to her. The kitchen is made of stainless steel appliances, but the wooden counters give it a slightly more country-looking feel. There's a large window above the stove, over-looking the neighbouring houses on the street. I try to act nonchalant and look at her with fake surprise. 

"What do you mean?" I ask in a higher voice than normal which clearly unravels my lie. I know exactly what she's talking about and she knows that I do.

"I heard you yell." Alice looks up from her phone and looks at me with a raised eyebrow. I can clearly see the worry swimming in her eyes. "Is everything okay Em?"

-Yes, Alice." I respond calmly, trying to appear appeased, "Everything's fine." I rest my forehead on the cold kitchen counter. "Umm... but Al - ?"

-Wait, wait..." She replies, cutting me off when her phone beeps. I huff. 

Rude...

I try to peer over her shoulder but she turns her back to me, rolling her fingers across the keyboard. She giggles to herself, reading the text, and I raise an eyebrow, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Who is it?" I ask, impatience lacing my words. She groans at me without even looking my way and waves a hand at me.

"Shhh." she puts a finger to her smiling mouth, not directing her gaze away from the screen. 

I shake my head and wait. When she keeps on rolling her fingers across the keyboard I sigh and slide of the barstool. I begrudgingly trudge up the stairs, walking through the hall with doors on either side of it. Cardboard boxes half-opened or still sealed closed are scattered through the hallway, as both Alice and I are both too lazy to even think about finishing the unpacking. 

I find the door standing ajar to my bedroom and breathe out a heavy sigh of exhaustion when more boxes fill my line of site, on the desk, on the window bench, and inside of the wardrobe. The only real place left untouched and actually completed with grey and navy blue bedding is my safe heaven. I launch myself into the air without hesitation and land on my beloved soft double bed with sudden sleepiness overcoming me. I roll onto my back and begin to close my eyes. 

Beep!

My eyelids flutter open and I groan with annoyance, rolling onto my side. I roll out of bed and land ungracefully with a thump on the ground. Pain courses through my side but I ignore it, crawling towards my bag by the door with sluggish movements. I rummage through its contents and find my beeping phone. I turn it on and scroll through the old messages until I lay eyes on the new one. 

'Hey gorgeous ;-) I'm taking you to the party after the game on friday. Be ready at 8:00! :-) xoxo, Brad'

"Urgg...." I groan, pressing the cold surface onto my forehead. I close my eyes and drift into a blank darkness.