Chapter Thirty-Six

"Emma?"

Liam whispers softly in my ear and I swing my fist, sending him flying to the ground. He looks up at me, rubbing his face, but with the most satisfied and mischievous look he can muster through the pain in his jaw. Where has this sudden power come from?

"You are ready." He says lowly, barely loud enough for me to hear. He laughs and I fall to my knees in shock, staring at my hands that have never seemed so disconnected from my own control. I scramble to my feet and turn back to my reflection in the monitoring machine. I've now got two golden eyes instead of just one. Any trace of the blue eye, the only thing that makes me share a physical resemblance to Alice, is gone. What drug has Liam I netted into me and has made me like this?

...°...

Jay's POV

I'm thrown into the darkest of rooms, the silence suffocating me from every direction. I squint my eyes and my vampire sight takes over. The room is completely bare, except for a sort of machine and glass pieces around it. My eyes scan over it once more and my breath gets caught in my throat. I can't think, it's not possible. She's standing, completely healthy, and not a scratch is visible on her body. But what scares me the most is the two golden eyes, eyeing me in the dark, as clear as two stars in the night sky.

"Glad you could make it." The voice belongs to the man that started all of this, the man that I would torture without a second thought, for all of the pain he inflicted upon me, upon Emma.

I stare up into her beautiful pale face and my mind snaps back to reality: fangs. Her face is inches away from mine and her soft blond hair cascades down her back, creating a curtain around us in the front. I ache to take a strand of the light strawberry-blond hair and twirl it around between my fingers, but the bright stare of the golden eyes stare into mine in an entrancing way. I send her a pleading look but her fangs come closer to me and I back away. Not because I'm afraid of her, but because I'm afraid of hurting her.

She isn't herself; the look in her eyes is glazed over, as if she was in a hypnotizing trance. But how? How come she's got fangs now? Is she a vampire?

"I control her. She is mine." Liam's voice is fueled with passion and excitement but I don't have the strength to fight him.

-What have you done to her?" I utter softly, gazing up Emma's angelic features that were once filled with joy and love. Now, they are immobile, frozen, dead.

-I'll let you hear it from the Visioner herself." He declares, clapping his hands enthusiastically. Before I have time to register his answer, a furious bang echoes through the room and a cell door opens in the back. Guards appear and a silhouette squids hesitantly into the room. A silhouette that I know all too well.

Lily.

She stops when she sees me and my unbeating heart contracts when I see the tears pouring from her eyes. Her clothes are torn, her once perfectly manicured nails are bitten to the root, her hair filthy and her skin... it looks like she has been burnt alive. With all the strength I can gather, I run to her, am by her side and two hunter heads are ripped from their bodies besides us. I don't know what came over me, but seeing Lily so tortured just fueled me to kill any Hunter that I could get my hands on.

Except for one.

In all that time, Liam looks at us all with pure admiration and curiosity, not at all disturbed that I just ripped two of his men to pieces. Emma hasn't moved from the spot and stares into nothingness.

I turn to Lily and take her burnt face in my hands. "Shh..." I whisper, biting down on my wrist. Her eyes widen in alarm when the blood stars to flow but I can see the difficulty she is having to restrain her hunger. "It's okay... drink." I command in a firm voice, bringing my wrist up to her mouth. She takes it with her hands and sends me a gratified look before biting down with desperation. At each gulp I feel my energy weakening but she needs it so much more than me. I sigh with relief when the burnt patches begin to mend up and she is left with only dirt and crust on her skin. She pulls away and her head falls onto my shoulder, sobbing loudly and her tears slipping through my shirt to wet my skin underneath.