Chapter Ten

The others have gone, leaving only Hunter remaining, circling me like a predator would circle it's prey. After several attempts of struggling furiously against the binding ropes, I give up. I just kind of slump down into a position with my head bent backwards, staring up at the ceiling with blank eyes. My thoughts keep on running back to Alice: is she safe? Where is she? Is she at home, or have they taken her too? Or worse...

The ropes are astonishingly sturdy and don't leave much more room for thinking because of the biting pain forming where they've been bound tightly across my ankles and wrists. They keep me completely paralysed to the uncomfortable chair. The chair's worn wood is biting unpleasantly into my lower back. I try the ropes around my wrists once more, but they still won't give up. 

"You know..." I begin, but bite my lip, unsure about whether or not to speak. Instead, I focus on what's around me. It's not very easy, as the sun has set and the moon is the only source of light as it streams in through the window and bathes the otherwise black room in an eery glow. 

I look at Hunter's frighteningly immobile figure, contemplating the darkness outside the window. I don't know how he walks around without knocking over at least some sort of furniture or even hit his toes into the foot of a chair, but the black surroundings don't seem to have any effect on him. On his kind

I shiver internally and focus on the faint outlines of his shadow. They seem to be able to do anything in a matter of seconds. Strenght, speed and night-vision. Oh, and let's not forget that creepy scene in the cave with the whole "you smell so good". 

They obviously have dog noses as well...

I groan, frustrated, again failing to free myself from the ropes. This is becoming way too tiring. I have Hunter's attention in the process and in a flash he's at eye level with me, crouched on one knee. He tilts his head and cocks an eyebrow curiously. Now that he's closer, I can see his jet hair, as efficiently as you could in complete blackness, but the moon's light, swarming into the room, gives me a good view of his looks.

And they're good. That's another thing; none of the guys are ugly - I seriously wish they were, it'd make it easier to hate them and fear them - but they're not. They all seem to have been born with beauty in their genes, which I find completely unfair by the way. 

I groan in annoyance at the though.

"What?" He looks amused now, his black eyes sparkling with interest and curiosity. Now that his face is inches from mine, I can see the bright red circle around his pupil, differing its colour amid the rest of his black eyes. The scar glistens in the moonlight, but it doesn't ruin his looks, only makes him look more tough, invincible. Annoying

"I wish you were ugly," I state boldly, starring straight into his eyes. 

He tilts his head and chuckles. It's painful to admit that his lough sounds heavenly. "And why's that?" 

-I'd make it easier to hate you," I reply truthfully, spilling out my thoughts out loud. "Why can't I read your thoughts?" I burst out suddenly, immediately regretting my words. 

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

He lifts my chin up and seems to examine my eyes closely. "What did you say?" He whispers, slightly more threatening that before. 

"I'm pretty sure you heard me." I breathe out, my voice slightly quivering as he leans in closer.  "And stop looking at me like that, it's creepy." I finish, trying my best to seem unaffected by his face inches from mine. If I was expecting another laugh, I get nothing. "Jay's practically been glued to me and he's probably seen everything going on at school." I point out, stating the obvious.