Chapter Twenty-Seven

I'm still standing in the same spot after several minutes, mesmerised by the lingering touch of his soft, velvety lips on mine. The breeze swirls around me like a reminder of his body heat warming me, now gone and instead giving access to the wintery cold. My head is blank and the shock that I felt when he pressed me up against the railing slowly begins to fade. I tear my eyes from the place that he had been standing and make my way back inside, down the corridor, and turning when I come to the corner that leads me into the modern living room and kitchen area. The light that floods in from the window blinds me for a couple of seconds and I instantly feel the urge to go outside fully. Into the real world. Standing on the balcony just wasn't just enough.  Why are they keeping me in here anyway? School doesn't seem like a priority in their world, and frankly, I'm not missing it either. But it would be nice to get out and away from these suffocating walls anyway. 

"Well hello lady friend!" A smile lights up my face as Caleb wraps a pair of strong arms around me and lifts me off of the ground in a breath-taking bear hug. When he puts me down, I stare into his beautiful face as he steps back and tilts his head to the side. Damn such a hottie... remind me why he's gay again? 

"Damn girl, you're rocking it!" He claps his hands enthusiastically - which seems to be a habit of his - and confusion makes its way to me. 

"What do you mean?

-Haven't you seen it?" He glares at me, dumbfounded.

-The eye?" I ask shyly and he suddenly sends me a huge grin and nods with excitement. 

"Oh no not just that! You look like you just stepped out of a hot Victoria Secret's campaign. I mean look at those lips..." He comes closer and bends in, pouting with something that looks like envy in his eyes. "Girl I'd love those lips... Jay's soooooo lucky!" 

I blush and he notices, giving in to a fit of laughter. "Aww, so cute! Anyways, let's get you something to eat shall we?" He nods towards the kitchen and makes his way there, clearly expecting me to follow him. A loud grumble protests from my stomach and I mutter a couple of curse words as I make my way to Caleb who's currently bent over, trying to control his hysterical laughter. 

"Shut up..." I growl, but that only sets him off more and suddenly I find myself laughing along with him, until we both look like two retarded seals, clapping our hands maniacally together. 

"Hey, so Caleb I-" Drake stops mid in his tracks and Lily had nearly bumps into him from behind if it hadn't been for her vampire reflexes. "What the-" 

Caleb and I straighten up, but not before exchanging slightly creepy smiles with each other. "Well hello there Mr Hottie Boy..." He coos in a seductive voice, sending Drake a wink. Lily takes a step forward and snarls, anger glowing in her eyes. Drake immediately pulls her back into his side and whispers soft words into her ear, which seems to reassure her slightly. Caleb on the other hand, looks as if he's containing himself from peeing all over the floor with uncontrollable maniac giggles once again. 

"Gosh girl... I'm not interested in your man toy!" Caleb exclaims with amusement. Lily's face flushes a deep red and she leaves the room, with Drake standing dumbfounded in his place. 

"Thanks man." He exclaims, shaking his head and sending an accusing glare in our direction. 

-Don't call me man!" Caleb snaps back, even though I can sense a playful tone underneath it, "I'm a very successful and well-respected woman!" He struts his hips and twirls around and then we all end up trying to breathe properly, making it sound more like a wheezing noise coming from the three of us. I hadn't noticed Lily's arrival before she comes to stand right in front of me with hands on her hips, making me jump back in shock. 

"Did he kiss you?" She asks boldly. 

-What?" I ask, mouth open and completely dumbfounded by her bluntness. Caleb giggles beside me as mortification fills me. 

"Jay, did he kiss you?" She repeats coldly, seemingly still not quite pleased with me. My mouth falls open but I quickly shut it with embarrassment, hiding my face when I feel the heat creeping up my neck and flooding my cheeks. 

"Gee woman! Calm your tits. That's a bit straightforward!" She glares at Caleb who lifts his hands in mock surrender and looks at me with a sudden confusion. "I should have known... you look sexy as hell hon." 

I glance between the two of them, feeling their gazes burning into the side of my head. Lily nods towards the window and I walk over to it with hesitant steps. The sunlight protruding from the uncovered sky outside sends a shimmer of light into the room, giving me the opportunity to catch glimpses of my reflection in the clear glass: My skin has somehow gotten rid of its sickening dryness and instead it casts a pale pretty glow that illuminates the rest of my features. My hair no longer looks broken but protrudes healthily from my head in cascades down my back. The old, dried and crackled lips that I had come to know are now replaced with an astonishingly fullness and are permanently marked with a light rosy colour. I'm not even wearing any lip stain, but they have the deep colour of a slightly pink rose. Through the class, I can vaguely see the faint outlines of a blue colour, but the golden eye stares right back at me with a true dominance. I step back in shock and bump right into Lily who doesn't budge. 

"But... how?" I whisper, before swallowing. I look vibrant, as if I've never been more alive. That's nothing in comparison to what I feel. My mind is swarming with confused thoughts that I can't seem to handle. Lily sighs as if she's annoyed at the slow thinking of my stupid brain but takes deep breaths to calm herself, which I've seen her doing a lot of times when she's around me. Probably to stop her from killing me, which by the way, I'm extremely grateful for. 

"I asked you if Jay kissed you-" She begins calmly. I nod and see Caleb's eyes light up as he sends me a happy thumbs-up, only adding to the humiliation that I'm already feeling, while Drake just looks back at me with the same dull, grey eyes. "-so because of your dominant bond, he passed some of his features onto you while you were dying. Usually, only vampires become soulmates, so when they do this, their beloved just heals faster from it. But because of your human state, he gave off more than that, which might explain your golden eye. To resume all of this, you took a part of him inside you. Because his second colour in his eyes is gold, it gave you that tint in your other eye." She concludes, satisfied with herself. I, on the other hand, am completely stunned for a moment and I feel a chair being pulled underneath me as I slump down, putting my head in my hands. After a moment of silence, realisation hits me. 

With uncertainty covering my voice, I look up and see Lily's dark eyes starring right back into mine with something close to disgust. I nearly jerk back, but contain myself. "Am I a turning into a vampire?" She gives me a very unlady-like snort and smile at me with mock pleasance. 

"Oh no honey..." She states with fake-sweetness lacing her tone, "Even I wouldn't give you the privilege of Turning, even if it meant watching you die slowly and painfully to complete the process. I wouldn't be able to stomach the thought of being your Maker. You've simply taken some of Jay's vampire abilities which means astounding beauty and a long life. Not that you reach average of what I'd called beautiful." She makes her way to the door, but stops mid-step, turning around to give me a bared-fanged malicious smile. "You'll still die much before Jay, you know? You'll never be good enough for him." And then she disappears, her painful words cutting through me, still lingering in the air. Drake clears his throat awkwardly but leaves us without saying anything. I feel Caleb's oddly warm hand on my arm. I look up and jump back in my seat when I see Alice's concerned face meeting mine at the entrance of the room. Next to her is Chase, looking as uncomfortable as ever. He switches uneasily on his feet, as if he was forced to be here, bringing very bad news. 

"We have something to tell you and I'm glad that you're already sitting down." He says hesitantly, taking a step towards where I'm sitting and Caleb is standing beside me protectively. Alice follows. I send her a confused glance at her mate's words but the look that I receive back clarifies my thoughts that what I'm about to hear won't be pleasant at all.