Chapter 10

Lance's POV

I ran around the house looking for Keith. I found the garden, but he wasn't there. My heart started pounding. Oh god, something happened to him! I thought, turning around and running back into the house. "SHIRO! WHERE WOULD KEITH HAVE GONE OTHER THAN THE GARDEN?!?!" I shouted. Everyone turned around. Pidge and Hunk had a worried look, while Shiro and Nikolas looked terrified. "That's the only place he has ever gone when he's upset. The plants help him relax." Pidge said, putting her hand on Shiro's arm.

"Well, he's not there. Do any of you know if he would have gone somewhere else?" I asked. Shiro looked at Nikolas, who nodded. "Yeah, follow me." He said, motioning for us to go out the door. We followed him to the edge of the woods behind Nikolas' house. "After his father died, Shiro and him came here to say hello and tell me Shiro was going to be King soon. Keith was still completely distraught about the whole situation, so he ran into the forest. Shiro and I couldn't find him, but then we heard sniffling near the river, and there he was. Somehow he managed to climb a tree and sat there for hours until Shiro and I found him." He said.

"I believe he went there because he knew we would know that he was in the garden. He was trying to hide. Trying to forget what happened to his father." Shiro adds, a solemn look on his face. Nikolas nodded.

We followed Nikolas to a small river deep into the woods. "Keith? Come on, it's okay to come down, no one blames you for what happened." Nikolas said in a really soft voice. There was a thump behind me, causing me to jump and turn around. Keith had jumped from the tree he was in and I gave him a sad smile.

I opened my arms to him, but he shook his head. I put my arms down and walked up to him. "Keith. You know what happened to your father wasn't your fault. You didn't know what would happen when you met Sam and Anne. Anyone would have done it. They gave you a false sense of security, and that is not your fault. You hear me? That was on them. THEY tricked you. THEY made you believe that they were your friends. You only did what you could. You were four years old Keith. You couldn't have known."

He looked down and mumbled something. "What?" I asked, tilting his head up to look into his eyes.

"I said, I did know. I knew what they were going to do, and I did it anyway." He ripped his head out of my hands and looked down again. I heard a gasp from behind us, and turned around. Pidge had her hand over her mouth, Hunk looked like he wanted to throw up, and Shiro and Nikolas had confused expressions.

I turned back around, and turned Keith to face me. "Keith, what do you mean you knew?" I asked. "They told me they were going to kill the king, and then laughed. I thought they were joking, so I laughed with them, and didn't think anything else about it." I searched his eyes for any sign of a lie, but found none. Only sorrow. I sighed and pulled him into a hug. "Oh, Keith. That's not your fault, baby." I whispered. He whimpered and buried himself in my neck, hugging me back.

There was a collection of sighs from the rest of the group. "Well, it still isn't your fault Thace died, Keith. Sure, they told you, but how were you supposed to know they were going to go through with it?" Shiro spoke up. I let go of Keith and tried to step back, but he whimpered again. I then wrapped my arm around his shoulders and turned around.

"So, we going back or staying here?" I asked.

Keith let go and sank to the ground. I looked down at him. "Keith?" I asked. He looked up with tear in his eyes. "Please. Don't make me go back there. I don't want to go back. I want my dad!" He said, tears rolling down his cheeks. "Shit." I heard Shiro curse. I looked up to see him coming towards us with Nikolas and Pidge. Shiro pulled him up and Nikolas took him. "Keith. It's okay. Shiro and I are here. You're alright." Nikolas said softly.

Pidge rubbed Keith's back. "Wait, what happened?" Hunk asked. I looked at him and shrugged, wondering the same thing. "It's his way of coping. You would think he'd grown out of it, but apparently not." Pidge said. "When he's scared, he shuts down and reverts back to when he was little. No, it's not little space. Well, I guess you could call it that, but he hasn't done it since he was about nine, so Pidge and I thought he had grown out of it." Shiro explains.

"How do we get him to snap out of it?" Hunk asked, moving toward Keith. "Well, the fastest way is telling him that his dad is dead, but right now, that isn't really a good thing right now, so we have to try and get him to sleep so we can take him back to the house." Pidge says. "Okay, but how do we do that?" I asked.

"One of two ways," she starts, "we can either knock him out, which probably would work but isn't efficient right now, or, and this is just a possibility, you scent him, which should calm him down long enough for us to take him home." Pidge suggested. Shiro and Nikolas stiffened. "Obviously, you don't have to do it if you don't want to, Lance." She said, Nikolas and Shiro relaxing a little.

"If it's the best way to get him calm, I will do literally anything." I said. Pidge nodded. I walked over to them and Pidge grabbed my arm. She put my wrist next to Keith's neck, and grabbed the other one, doing the same thing. "Shiro, Nik. You have to step back so Lance can do his thing." She said, waving them away.

Hesitantly, they both let go of Keith and walked over to Hunk. I stood in front of Keith and somehow knew exactly what to do. I moved my wrists so I could cup his face and kissed his lips. After a few seconds, I pulled away and took his hands and placed my wrists on his.

He calmed down after a few minutes of me doing this. He collapsed, and I quickly picked him up. "Hey, would you mind putting him on my back and I'll carry him back to the house?" I asked Shiro who nodded.

Once Keith was on my back, we made our way back to Nikolas' house. 

Inside, Nikolas said, "Go ahead and put him on the couch, he can sleep there. Terra should be asleep about now, so we can talk about what the five of you came to see me about." I nodded and Shiro helped get Keith off my back and onto the couch.

_______________________________________

Hey guys! I can't believe that this story has gotten so long. Originally, this was written just because I wanted something to do and I came up with the idea to write a short story about Lance and Keith because of Taylor Swift's Love Story. It was supposed to be a three-shot, but now look at it. Ten chapters in and we still aren't done yet. I don't know how many chapters there will be, but I can tell you its probably going to be a while before I finish this.