Chapter 22

Warning: pretty graphic; death of a fetus

_______________________________________

Lance's POV

When we got back to the castle, it was late. I turned to Keith, and found him asleep on my shoulder. I gently shook his shoulder, and he looked up at me sleepily. "Hey, babe, we're home." I whispered. He groaned but sat up so we could get out of the carriage. After about ten minutes, Keith and I were his room. He sat down on his bed and made grabby hands at me. I chuckled, wanting so badly to got to him, but I shook my head.

"I can't, baby." I said.

"Why not?" Keith pouted, putting his hands back at his sides. I sighed and walked over to him, kissing the top of his head and laid him down on the bed. "I've gotta talk to Shiro really quickly, then we can cuddle all you want, ok?" Keith nodded.

"Mk. But be quick, 'm tired." He said with a yawn. I smiled softly, kissed the top of his head and walked out the door, closing it. I walked down the hall, heaving a heavy sigh. I hate having to hide this from him, but if it's what has to be done to protect him, I'll do it, no matter the cost.

I finally found Shiro's room and knocked on the door, even though it was open. Shiro looked up from his the papers he had in his hand. "Lance? What is it? Did Keith have another nightmare?!" He asked, standing up quickly.

"No, we just got back from our little get away you, Pidge and Hunk planned- yes, I knew you had something to do with it- anyway, he just laid down to go to sleep. I just wanted to talk to you about something." I said, walking towards him. He nodded and motioned for me to shut the door. I closed it behind me and walked over to his desk.

"Alright, what is it?" He asked, leaning against the front of his desk, arms folded. I shifted my weight from foot to foot, trying to figure out how to talk about it. "Come on, Lance. Out with it." Shiro said, slightly annoyed.

I took a deep breath. "We need to get Allura's help." Shiro's eyes widened.

"You mean... do you really think it's the best idea?" I shook my head.

"No, of course I don't think it's a good idea. Shiro, she hates Keith. But, if I know her as well as I think I do, we may have a chance against him with her help."

Shiro nodded. "I know. Keith won't be happy about this though." I let out a shaky breath.

"I know. That's why he won't know. We won't tell him. He will never find out about it, and once it's all over, we just tell him Lotor died by some kind of enemy attack." Shiro let out a breath and put his head in his hands.

"I hate having to do this to him." He said shakily. I walked closer to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I know. I do too. I hate having to lie to him. Having to sneak around behind his back, but this is what's best for him and we both know it." Shiro looked up at me and gave a weak, wet laugh.

"Is it? Is that what his life has come to now? His brother and his boyfriend banning together behind his back in order to "protect him"?" He put air quotes around the last two words. "This isn't protecting him, Lance. This is betraying his trust and finding ways to get rid of this problem. What happens if this happens again? We can't just go around killing everyone that so much as scrapes Keith." I sighed.

"I know. I know, Shiro. I wish we didn't have to do this, but he hurt him. He hurt our Keith, and we can't just let him get away with that, can we?" I asked. Shiro shook his head.

"No, and if we do this, it may deter others from hurting him in the future. Alright. We'll call your sister tomorrow and see if she will help us out. But for now, we both need to get some sleep, and-" Shiro got cut off by the sound of the door slamming open by one of the guards.