Chapter 1: Beauty Calls to Me

There she was. Such beauty that is so rare. Something that I have never seen before. She was holding a rose so delicately while standing in front of the golden mirror. The deep red color of the flower matched her plump lips. How I wish to see that every single day.

Her hair as black as midnight flowed below her shoulders. She combed it and swept it to the side. And then talked to me, still brushing it carefully.

"Can't take your eyes away from me, darling?" 

I nodded. "You're just too beautiful, I couldn't help it." I replied with sincerity. I have to admit the fact.

She stopped and finally faced me. I was stunned when she sat in front of me. Legs crossed while the rose was still in her hand.

"Good. Because in this world, beauty is all that matters." her voice sounded like velvet. Even the sound she makes was pleasing.

"You perfectly fit in then." I complimented her and smiled.

The room was covered in silence. The clock's ticking became louder. I decided to ask her.

"Do you have a scene in your life where you want to replay that over and over again?"

If that could only happen, I would jump in with no hesitation.

Her eyes softened.

"I do."

The clock's ticking started to get louder and faster.

"What is it?"

"I rather not tell you."

My smile disappeared and silence, again, took over us.

The clock kept ticking, but it was slower this time.

I couldn't talk back.

She decided to break it.

"What about you?"

The clock immediately stopped ticking as I firmly gazed at her.

"This moment right here."

The clock beside me rang as loud as it could.

It was time to get up.

Pinatay ko ang alarm clock sa tabi ko. Dumampi sa balat ko ang kumikinang na ilaw na nanggaling sa bintana. Tinakpan ko ang mukha ko at huminga ng malalim. Basang-basa ito dahil sa mga luha na tumulo. Ramdam ko rin ang sakit at pagkatuyo ng lalamunan ko.

It happened again.

"Mga bata, kakain na!"

Agad akong bumangon sa kama at pumunta sa cr para umihi. Naghugas ako ng kamay pagkatapos at natigilan noong makita ang sarili ko sa salamin. Pugtong-pugto ang mata ko at namumula rin ang ilong.

Nagbuntong-hininga ako at natawa sa sarili. Pinagkrus ko ang mga braso.

"Bakit sa panaginip ko lang ako magaling mag-English?" napaisip ako.

Ngumisi ako at binalewala nalang. Nagflip hair ako.

"Iba ka talaga, Abrie."

Naligo na ako at nagbihis. Naglagay na rin ako ng moisturizer at sunscreen. Sinuklay at inipit ko rin ang buhok ko matapos ko itong patuyuin. Kinuha ko na ang bag ko. Natawa pa ako dahil muntikan na akong madulas sa pagmamadali.

Bababa na sana ako pero napatingin ako saglit sa sarili ko. Hinawakan ko ang mga pisngi ko.

Naalala ko 'yung napaginipan ko kanina. Ang ngiti ko ay napalitan ng simangot. Kitang-kita ko ang dismaya sa ekspresyon ng mukha ko.