Things Aren't Always What They Seem

AN: Double publication today. Don't miss the next chapter. 🥵

Wearing all white with a hooded robe covering its head, the new person looked down until reaching the General. Once there, the person looked up and removed the hood. It was a human female. She was young, like me, but taller, her body lithe and strong. Hazel eyes peaked from an attractive face while a sprinkling of freckles decorated her nose and cheeks. Her hair was brown, and she wore it in three buns on the back of her head. A lightsaber hung at her hip.

I felt a connection flow through our bond, accompanied by a desire that wasn't mine.

Her eyes locked on Ren, and an ember of rage ignited within my spirit. He stiffened beside me and stared at the young woman. When she smiled at him, I almost attacked her.

Not taking his eyes off of the woman, he stated, "What are you up to, Mother?" The endearment rolled off of his tongue like venom. "Why would you think I need a Jedi? Do you think it will balance me somehow—the dark and the light? You even dressed her to contrast me." His words spat out as his temper threatened to boil over.

"I thought together, you could be more powerful. Yes, she could balance you, be a companion," she exclaimed.

"What! Are you insane!" Ren yelled. "Did you think you could parade a female Jedi in front of me and I would react like a bantha in heat, claim her as mine and run off to save the galaxy together? Afterward, maybe give you a few grandkids?"

"I'm sorry, Ben," she sputtered. "I thought how lonely you must be and if you could find your equal in the Force, it could..."

"Could what, Mother?"

"I thought maybe she could bring you closer to home," she mumbled, tears streaking down her face. Ren's father walked up and put his arm around his wife. "Please, son. We only want to see you happy and whole again." Behind him, the wookie roared in agreement while the young woman looked down, brow furrowed as if distracted. Through the bond, I felt her confusion and connection with him flow. I wanted to reach out and break the new found bond in its infancy.

Ren's body shuddered and I was afraid he would snap. Instead, he made a statement I couldn't believe I heard. "I don't need my mother to hand pick a companion for me and you need not think I will ever come home, nor give you a grandchild. I had myself sterilized years ago. Even I, in my darkness, had enough sense to know I should not sire any children, unlike you two." My head snapped around to face Ren before I could stop myself. This one movement told his mother all she needed to know about me. It was now clear that Ren already had a Jedi companion, one that was shocked to hear his last statement. Fury tore through me.

"Calm down, Tor." Vicrul's voice played in my head. "This isn't the place."

I trembled all over, unable to control my emotions or my powers. Blue light crackled at my fingertips and threatened to ignite, swallowing my humanity whole. I opened my mouth to scream, but no sound came forth. Instead, the ground rumbled and shook underneath us.

"Princess?" His voice was soft and pleading, in an attempt to calm me down. "Princess." I heard his voice again, coming closer.

"I love you, Princess. Please, let me explain myself."

My fury abated, like a speck of dust on the wind, replaced by pain. Turning, I walked toward the Night Buzzard.

"We're done here. I will notify you if I find any pertinent information about the Lehon system." I heard Ren say.

"Ben, I'm so sorry. I didn't know." General Organa was pleading with her son now, desperate not to hurt him further. "I would have never brought Rey with us if I had known."