Sonet Vision

I lounged on the settee another thirty minutes before endeavoring to walk. Waddling over to the table to retrieve my holopad, I summoned a cleaning droid. After giving it instructions for straightening and putting away the scattered books, I sat down in my father's chair.

How would I explain the broken lights?

Skimming up to me, the cleaning droid gave up its offerings. The now smudged copy of my childhood favorite and the book about the old Jedi were thrust into my hands. A sudden approach of footsteps sent alarms through my brain. The droid was almost done cleaning up, but I knew I appeared wild. Quickly smoothing down my hair and dress, I snuggled into my father's chair and propped one of the books up like I had been reading it for hours.

"Princess Torrence, your father sent me to check on you. He's held up in meetings with General Hux since the First Order came back this evening. I was told Commander Ren came to the surface and entered the premises of the castle. Did you happen to see him? Or do you know what he wanted?" Admiral Kensit questioned.

I know what he wanted, and yes he entered the premises more than once, and he most definitely came, as well as I—twice to be exact.

I couldn't tell Admiral Kensit that. I had to think of a lie and fast.

"He spoke to me only in passing, Admiral. You know, he is not the friendliest man in the galaxy. He asked about some book instructing on care of banthas and when I told him we did not possess one, he dismissed me and looked himself. Finding none, he left without a word."

For kriffing sake. That made no sense at all. He would never believe it.

Walking nearer, I thought he was going closer to the modest fire sparking in the hearth, but instead, he sat down on the nearby settee. "Tor, are you sure you are all right? Your father told me that he finally revealed the truth to you about your mother. I knew it was difficult to learn of your heritage after all this time. I want you to know that your father did what he thought was right by keeping it from you. He loves you and he was frightened."

"Yes, sir, I'm doing well. I don't blame my father. I'm adjusting to the revelation slowly, but feel I have a renewed vigor in my life to learn everything I can about my mother and her ancestry." A shadow passed over Admiral Kensit's face before he replaced it with a smile.

"Absolutely, Princess, let me know what you find out."

Before standing, Admiral Kensit ran his hand over the settee cushion and frowned, picking at something on the seat.

"The cleaning droids obviously need maintenance. They are leaving behind residue on the old furniture pieces."

Are you kidding me? Why him every damn time? Does he have some kind of built in cum magnet or something? Poor Admiral Kensit.

"I'll look into their maintenance, Admiral. Thank you. And thanks for caring for me," I added to the end to pacify him, although I did mean it.

"No problem Tor." Squinting, he stated, "Is something wrong with the lights?"

"No, sir. I enjoy reading in the natural light from the windows. I was about to retire to my room for the evening anyway."

"Good night, Princess Torrence. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything."

Do you have an ice pack in your pocket?

"I will. Tell my father I am well. Thanks again."

***********

The next morning, after eating breakfast in my room, I dressed for the day. I planned to go to the meadow and attempt to meditate for the first time. It was such a tranquil area, I thought it may be a great place for my first try. Or maybe I would go to the Great Falls, just a short walk from the palace.