Chapter Ten: Ash's Blood

Ash’s P.O.V-

I wasn’t giving in to this dick. I ran a hand through my hair, surprised at how long it had become. I rubbed my jaw, but not because it was awkward, because it was slightly sore. If I could, I’d turn on my heels and have Cassie keep me safe, have her stroke my face, kiss it better. Impossible...Perhaps, but I could always try right? But not right now. Now I was going to take whatever he was about to give me. If I fought back would it hurt her? Would she cry for him, if I hurt him? But I couldn’t just stand and take it... Could I? I would for her. But...

I rounded the corner, up on the field, the air seemed icy. I rolled the sleeves of my blazer up, and walked around the technology block. Was this where Cassie and Teresa had their spat? I couldn’t be sure. I wasn’t there. I’d been in drama like an idiot. I wish I’d been there for her, she had no one then.  Liam was stood, his left foot against the wall, hands in pockets, he seemed calm. But under that skin he was boiling. I smiled at him, as much as I wanted to kick the shit out of the arsehole, if I could avoid it, I would... For Cassie’s sake. 

“You just don’t know when to give up, do yah Ash?” He came up to me and smacked me in the face. I clutched at the bruising cheek. 

“Shit.” I mumbled. My breathing becoming intense. My body was pumping with adrenaline. I swung at Liam and hit his jaw. Right where he’d hit me earlier. I laughed.

“An eye for an eye my friend.” I smirked, pleased with my actions, onto have my guts almost hit from my stomach. I was slammed against the wall. Liam sent his fist into my stomach. I arched my body over at the pain. He grabbed my face and punched my cheek again. The skin breaking at his fist, blood staining his white knuckles. I tripped and fell to the ground. The grass wet. I could feel the chilly cutting at my throat. The grey sky dimming the world around me. The world that spun and blurred. I’d lost.

I’d lost.

What do I do now?

Cassie’s P.O.V-

I rounded the corner, up onto the field, where me and Teresa had fought before. I shook the memories as Nat pulled me onwards. 

“Come on!” She yelled at me, and I made my legs move. They ached, why? I don’t know. The cold, grey outside world seemed dim and lifeless, like someone had died.

Someone had died... 

Oh please no. I ran, ahead of Nat, who seemed to be lagging now, up onto the field where I found Ash struggling on the floor. I stood in horror as Liam grabbed his face and punched his already bleeding cheek. Once, twice, three times, before letting his head drop to the ground. Ash’s body seemed to be convulsing slightly. He was in a slight fetus position, protecting his stomach, and trying to get up with his free arm. As I ran towards his body, Liam kicked him in the stomach. Ash yelped out in pain and his body fell flat on the cold, hard ground.

“Ash!” I cried out, tears pouring down my pale cheeks. Liam looked up at me, anger in his face. I ignored him and came tumbling in front of Ash. Screaming his name. 

Ash’s P.O.V-

My vision blurred as Liam kicked me in my already bruising stomach. It hurt to breath, my face bleeding from his blows. Had I really just stood by and let this happen. From a distance I heard someone shout my name. I tried to turn, but my body lay flat. The floor, as hard and cold as it was, seemed an easier escape. I lay low, hoping I wouldn’t have to take no more. Then, there, through my blurred eyes, she came to me. Her body falling before me, tears staining her pale face, her mouth moving, but I didn’t hear a word. She seemed to sway slightly, or was that me? I gripped the ground, pulling a mound of mud and grass out with me. Trying, without success to steady myself.