15 | Ship in a Bottle

"The worm in my heart is the apple of your eye." - Ship in a Bottle

-

In the event of a fire drill, the entire school congregates on the football field. Sophia and I were practically the last ones to make it outside. Luckily, no one noticed because we came in through the back.

We made a short attempt to find Drake and Seth in the crowd. However five seconds in, Sophia complained that everyone was much too tall for us to continue the hunt. We ended up surrounded by underclassmen, which was fine by me. I've had enough attention from our class today.

I was peering over people's heads, attempting to find Drake and Seth again when I felt Sophia's hand brush against mine. I ignored it at first because it passed so gently, but when it happened again, I knew it was deliberate.

I stuffed my hands into my pockets, throwing her a disapproving look. Sophia's nose wrinkled, and her hands met her hips.

"I thought the whole point of me breaking up with Chris was so that we could try being an us. But you won't even let me hold your hand!" She whined.

My eyes bulged out of my head, and I immediately threw my hand over Sophia's mouth. She was practically screaming death warning.

For five blissful moments, I had completely forgotten how this whole fiasco began. After three years of constant abuse, Sophia breaking up with Chris is going to be what gets me killed. I had days to live now.

"Sophia, can you please quietly tell me exactly what you said to Chris?" I instructed, slowly removing my hand from her mouth. She rolled her eyes at me but nodded regardless.

"I told him that I didn't think we were working out." She explained with a shrug. "I didn't do much talking after that because he started yelling at me about absolutely nothing at all."

Anger flared up in me at the image of Chris screaming at her. If he had put his hands on her, I would've charged in there; regardless of the bruised ribs.

I took deep, calming breaths before focusing on the problem at hand.

"So he doesn't know about me?" I clarified, and Sophia's eyes narrowed.

"No, but if you want me -"

"No!" I blurted, shaking my head. "You don't have to."

Something changed in Sophia when I told her no. Her shoulders slumped, and her eyes turned down.

"Listen, Avery if you don't want to be with me, you can just -"

"Sophia!" I exclaimed, interrupting her lament. I took her by her shoulders and pulled her close to me. Her eyes wandered everywhere except to meet mine. I trailed a hand from her shoulder, up to her neck, until I reached her chin and I could guide her to look at me.

There is no greater pain than when the person you love thinks that you don't want them. That massive miscommunication leads to both parties growing heavy hearts. To not be desired is heartbreaking, but not knowing you are is worse.

"There is nothing that I want more than to be with you." I breathed, gripping her reassuringly. Sophia's eyes skipped back and forth as they searched mine. "It's all I want right now. But to do this here, at school, is dangerous. The person who is hurting me, they are dangerous."

I felt Sophia relax in my hands, but her eyes still searched me beseechingly.

"Then tell me who they are Avery. Let me protect myself." She urged, gripping the wrist of my hand that held her chin.