23 | Cleanse Song

"Like a meeting of chance with the train station glance" - Cleanse Song

-

"I don't think that Seth should be in charge of Avery today," Sophia commented as we walked into school.

Just like that last time, everyone in the hallway turned their attention towards us. Before, I was just walking in with three of the most popular kids at school. Now I'm walking in with three of the most popular kids at school on crutches. What we went through before was a walk in the park. Literally. Because now I have to maneuver through the crowds on crutches.

"Hey!" Seth protested. "I think that I did a good job yesterday. She's alive isn't she?"

In his defense, I'd say that Seth did a pretty good job; I interacted with Chris, and he didn't lay a single hand on me. However, by the dirty looks on Drake and Sophia's face, I could tell they didn't after.

"So what if I wanted to lock you in a closet, without any food, and then called that taking care of you? How would you feel about that? You'd be alive wouldn't you?" Sophia berated, getting into Seth's pale face.

While Seth and Sophia argued over the definition of being alive, Drake snatched my backpack from Seth's shoulder.

"Let's go." Drake mouthed at me, starting to creep away from the duo. I nodded in agreement and began following him.

Unfortunately, there's no way to be stealthy on crutches. Drake and I made it about two feet away before Sophia and Seth's uproar of protest started up. Drake grabbed my arm and continued to usher me down the hall despite them.

"Don't worry guys! Avery will be fine! We'll take the secret passageways!" Drake called out, weaving between the crowds. His promise did nothing to quell their worries. If anything, the two got even rowdier.

"There are secret passageways?!" I heard Seth yell from afar. Glad to know what he's more worried about. All Chris has to do to get Seth to hand me over is offer him the wardrobe to Narnia.

"So where are these secret passageways you were bragging about?" I asked Drake, noticing that we were taking our usual route to my locker.

Drake threw his head back in laughter. "There are no secret passageways Avery. It will just take those two a while to figure that out." He joked.

He was right about that. Sophia wouldn't believe it for a moment, but Seth, on the other hand, would at least consider it. Sophia will call Seth stupid, and he'll get offended. Then the two will start fighting about something completely different. Drake has expertly bought us at least 15 minutes.

"So I think I found a way for you to come along tonight." Drake approached slowly, putting in my locker combination.

My mood sank at the mention of today's plan. I let out a sigh of despair, leaning against the nearest wall.

Tonight Sophia is going to meet with Chris. No one was able to talk her out of it, but somehow Drake convinced her to let him come with her. I don't know how she was extremely adamant about doing it all on her own. The boy has magical persuasion skills.

Now if he could only use those on Ethan.

"Sophia would kill me if I came. Or I would end up killing Chris. Either way, someone would end up dying." I muttered bitterly. Sophia and I were already on edge with each other because of the whole Marisol thing. She doesn't need any more reasons to be upset with me.

"If she doesn't know that you're there, then she can't kill you." Drake countered, and I shot him a look.

It's obvious that Drake is Sophia's favorite. Therefore he's never been on the other side of Sophia's wrath. If he had, he'd know that crossing Sophia is a terrible idea. Seth would've never suggested such a thing.