14 | June on the West Coast

"And I felt I was on fire, with the things I could have told you" - June on the West Coast

 "Avery, don't freak out. She's going to be fine. She's a big girl." Drake tried to reassure me as I paced the hallway. Despite his calm voice, I was having a hard time believing him.

Sophia is a two-year-old in a 17-year-old's body. She blurts out whatever's on her mind without thinking of the consequences. Maybe if she were talking to someone sane, I wouldn't be so concerned.

However, she's talking to Chris; someone who's shown they have zero problems hitting girls. Sophia revealing the wrong thing could get her into a lot of trouble.

"I'm going to go find her," I declared before attempting to walk away.

Seth immediately grabbed my arm and pulled me back between him and Drake. I looked up at him with a harsh glare.

"Avery, she needs to learn how to take care of things by herself. You have done every little thing for her since freshman year. Don't think I haven't noticed." Drake lectured sternly. "You need to step back for once."

I agree. I need to give Sophia space and let her do her own thing. And I'll start doing that after I make sure that she doesn't get both of us killed and left in a ditch.

"Drake. Seth. I'm going."

"Avery. Drake and I think you should stay."

"We know that you should stay."

"Well, I know that I should get Sophia before she does something stupid."

"Avery!"

"I'm going to go get Sophia!"

I walked away from the two and began shoving my way through the crowd.

The worst part about all of this is that I didn't have the slightest idea of what Sophia would say to him. At least if we had talked about it, I'd know how bad things could get and could preemptively call 911.

Sophia didn't understand that you can't just break up with people. Wyatt is going to ask why they broke up and Sophia being Sophia, she'll probably tell him the truth. Most of the time her drive to be an honest and upstanding citizen is admirable, but today it's damning.

Even if she doesn't tell the truth, it'll only buy us some time. Things will be good until people find out we're dating (if we even start dating). Then Chris will be even more furious that she lied. And by that point, all of the homophobic people who went after me would've started going after Sophia. Then she's at a higher risk of getting hurt, which will cause me more pain.

As my brain began to spiral, my feet picked up their pace.

I peeked around the corner of the hallways where Chris and his friends usually are and almost banging my head against the wall. Chris's friends were there, but there was no sign of him.

I went back around the corner to where they couldn't see me and inhaled a few shaky breaths. Sophia being somewhere alone with Chris was not any more comforting.

I don't even know where to look. There weren't very many hiding spots in the school, but they were all on opposite sides of each other. It would take me way too long to look through all of them.

"Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?"A voice suddenly asked from behind me.

I yelped in surprise and jumped a couple of inches off the ground. When I reached the ground again, my hand was resting over my heart. I slowly turned to face the owner of the voice.