30 | Landlocked Blues

"And there's kids playing guns in the street. And one's pointing his tree branch at me So I put my hands up I say "Enough is enough, if you walk away I walk away". And he shot me dead" - Landlocked Blues

-

For the past three weeks, I've walked into school wearing an obnoxiously wide smile and humming some happy go lucky tune I didn't know the words to. I even waved at the people I passed on the walk, excuse me I mean skip, to my locker. It's safe to say that school has been going great.

The last bad thing that's happened to me, was when Seth kept interrupting Sophia and I's big date, and that was weeks ago. Everyone at school has been extremely supportive; we were everybody's new couple. Of course, Sophia was basking in all the attention and I, for once, didn't mind all of the eyes either.

In the past, this much attention probably would've made me crawl into a hole with no plan of ever coming out. But now I have Sophia by my side, so I can conquer practically anything.

Even the fact that Chris knew about Sophia and I didn't phase me anymore. He hadn't even made a scene about it like I was expecting. He glared at me every time he saw Sophia and I holding hands, but considering everything he's done in the past, the glaring was like being smacked with a feather.

But a non-lethal Chris had nothing on how thrilled I was about being off of my crutches made me. Not having to struggle with those torture sticks was about 500 extra happiness points.

"Avery!Avery!Avery!Aver-"

"Good morning to you too Gabby." I greeted, interrupting her squealing as she ran up to me at my locker. I had to stop her early for the sake of everyone in the hallway and their ears.

She glared at me with no real heat behind it. "Whatever Leon. This is serious business. I need your help."

I sighed and shook my head. "For the last time Gabrielle, I am not helping you steal from the candy store." I insisted, and when she opened her mouth, I held up a finger. "Nor am I helping you find the golden ticket."

About a week ago, Gabby came to me with a lecture on the perils of having an avid sweet tooth without the bankroll to support her sweet tooth. And because Gabby is Gabby, she decided that the solution to her problem would be to rob a candy store and she wanted me to be her back up.

When I reminded her that such a thing was illegal, she merely switched to plan b: finding "the golden ticket". I tried to remind her that we weren't in Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, but she insisted I was just being closed-minded.

"No, no, no. Not about that. But the offer still stands." She reminded me suggestively, but I immediately shot her a look. She rolled her eyes before continuing. "I need your help getting a guy."

It took me a few beats the blink all of the shock out of my eyes.

"Gabby, do you not see that there are about fifty things wrong with what you just asked me?" I asked her slowly, and for once Gabby was the confused one.

"First off, I'm a lesbian. Which means I am a girl who likes other girls. I know nothing about boys except that they're weird and kind of gross." I explained. Gabby's face scrunched up at the end, but I shrugged before continuing.

"Two, and I say this with all of the love in my heart, you're insane." I continued. Despite my warning, I still got a pretty nasty glare, but I held up my hand so that I could continue. "I just don't know who we're going to find at this school who can nurture and match all of that awesomeness you've got going on."

Gabby broke into a grin and wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"Seth Meyers." She sang.

On instinct, I gagged at the thought because Seth Meyers is a child, who does nothing but gives me headaches. But as soon as I recovered I was able to properly check Gabby for any possible illnesses. I didn't see a rash, and she didn't have a fever. She must have one of those undetectable diseases.