17 | Bowl of Oranges

"Thank you Stranger, for your therapeutic smile" - Bowl of Oranges

-

A steady beeping was the first thing I could recognize as my senses slowly came back to me. My eyelids were heavy and closed, but the painfully bright lights still shone through. I tried to will my hand to lift and cover my eyes, but the strength just wasn't there.

My body was dense, heavy to move. There was an underlying soreness that was waiting to reach its full potential. Suddenly, I didn't even want to be able to flinch, too afraid of awakening the resting pain.

"When is she going to wake up?" Sophia distantly whispered. A faint shock ran through my body at the sound of her voice.

"Soon. The doctor said that she's going to be fine, remember?" Seth reassured.

"After sticking about a thousand needles into her," Sophia grumbled, and I wished I had the energy to roll my eyes.

"Funny. I only see three." Seth mused. I could see Sophia rolling her eyes right now.

A giddiness filled me when I felt my toes brush against each other. My throat was just now clearing up to the point where breathing didn't feel constrained.

"Shut up." Sophia scolded. "Where's Drake, I'm hungry?"

"How touching. I'm on my deathbed, and you're still thinking about food," I croaked, my voice hoarse. I winced from the pain of moving my jaw but continued rolling it to wake it up.

"Avery! You're awake! Oh my gosh! Why won't you open your eyes?! Are you blind?! Please don't be blind." Sophia rambled anxiously. I could feel the heat radiating from her body, as she leaned over me.

"Is the giant cut on her face or her leg Sophia?" Seth quipped.

Sophia growled."Seth, I'm about two seconds from strangling you."

"I'm just-"

"Please stop fighting." I pleaded weakly. I turned my head in the direction of Sophia's voice. "Give me a second. Let me try."

I tried prying my eyes open, only managing unsuccessful flutters. I gripped my fist in my hand and tried once again. The pull was slow and tight, but eventually, there was a sliver of light and then a flood.

It took a moment for my eyes to focus, but when they did, I could see Sophia's tired and worn face looming over mine. My heart clenched at the sight of a single tear falling from her eye.

I couldn't resist the urge to cup Sophia's chin, excruciating pain or not. She leaned into the touch, and a small smile graced my face.

"See, I can still see how beautiful you are," I reassured her, and I felt the heat of her blush warm my palm.

"Nice to know you're alive," Drake commented in a neutral time as he entered the room. His arms carried bags of Chinese food that Seth attacked as soon as it was set down.

Sophia stood by my side warily, still holding my hand against her face. I tugged my hand from her face and nodded in Drake's direction. She refused to leave the bed, her apprehensive eyes never leaving my face.

"I'm not going anywhere, Soph. I'll be here when you get back." I joked. A ghost of a smile flashed across her face, and she slowly turned towards where Seth was.

When the two inevitably bickering over who was taking too much food, Drake came to perch himself on my bed.

"How long was I out?" I asked, turning to face him the best I could.