6 | Entry Way Song

"You're the calm of a conscious" - Entry Way Song

-

I sat up slowly, groaning as my muscles painfully stretched. My eyes instinctively shut tight making white dots dance across my eyelids. Still, white light passed through them, making my head throb more than it already was.

Eventually I was brave enough to open my eyes, but I still used a hand to shield them. As they opened, they slowly revealed the white cabinets and row of beds that belong to the nurse's room. Suddenly I remember Coach yelling, the football field and then the darkness.

"You're up," a voice sighed quietly.

I jumped, startled, before scanning the room. My eyes landed on a tall, slightly muscular boy sitting in the corner of the room. I recognized him from a few of my classes, but couldn't actually remember his name.

I squinted at him with a tilted head for a few moments, before he answered my silent question.

"Drake. Drake Weston," he answered. That's right; he's in my gym and biology class. He was also the school's beloved goalie on the soccer team.

"You passed out while you were running," he explained, standing up from his chair. "None of the girls from class wanted to help you, so I did. I Wanted to wait until you woke up before leaving."

We both knew why they didn't want to take me to the nurse. They were scared they'd catch my disease. That being a decent human being would suddenly make them start liking girls.

My facial expression soured as my thoughts did and Drake gave me a sympathetic look. I rolled my eyes at him, and cautiously slid myself off of the bed. The small impact still rattled my body causing me to wince.

Drake ran over instantly, but I gave him a look that stopped him in his tracks. He held up his hands in surrender.

"I just want to walk you to class. Make sure nothing happens to you," he reasoned, giving me a gentle look.

He had to understand why I would be hesitant. I've had plenty of people say they wanted to help me as they picked me up off the ground, only to have them lead me to Chris' waiting assault a few days later. It wasn't enough for them to hurt me physically; they had to break my heart too.

Saying no would be the most logical answer, but I couldn't ignore the small possibility that he was telling the truth. Chris still hadn't seen me since Sophia and I's scene yesterday, so God knows I could use some protection from him right now.

After I dropped my look and lowered my head, Drake took that as a sign to finish walking over . When he reached me, I wrapped my hands around his arm and used him to steady myself.

Drake walked us over to the door and opened it. Paranoid of both Drake's intentions and Chris' whereabouts, I peeked my head out of the door to check the hallways. They were empty, but that didn't mean there wasn't someone waiting around the corner.

"No one's there. I promise." Drake spoke in a sincere manner, but it still wasn't enough to convince me. However, I didn't really have any other choice. Whether he was leading me to Chris or not, I was going to run into Chris at some point. Might as well maybe have protection.

I still made sure to scan every intersection that we passed. Since class had already started, it made sense the hallways were so empty. But the emptiness left an unsettling silence that didn't help my nerves. Drake's presence however, had slowly become more comforting and I couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing.

We made a stop at my locker to pick up my books for English, and then continued the short walk there. When I let go of Drake's arm to reach for the door handle, there was an instant feeling of dread that washed over me.