18 | Poison Oak

"My clothes are soaking wet, from your brother's tears" - Poison Oak

-

"Zach?" I called out lamely from my spot on the couch. What a great start to my plan.

I told myself that I'd go upstairs and talk to him after everyone left. However, I didn't really consider how I'd get up the stairs on my crutches. Another reason why the crutches are going to end up being the bane of my existence.

"I'm coming!" Zach yelled from upstairs.

I nodded to myself, drumming my fingers on the armrest of the couch. The shuffle of feet walking down the stairs drew nearer, and my stomach began to twist itself into knots.

I told myself that I would talk to Zach, but what was there to talk about. The only thing he wants to hear is who hurt me, and that's the one thing that I'm not willing to give up.

Everything happening right now is a mess. But it's my mess, and no one else deserves to hold that burden.

"Drake came to see me before he left."

I snapped my head towards Zack and my eyebrows knitted together in confusion. I hadn't seen Drake go upstairs not once when he was here. He was sitting next to Seth the entire evening.

Zach's approach towards me was slow and cautious. Someone with something positive to say doesn't walk that way. I hope that Drake knows that I can still kill him with one leg. I've even got a weapon now.

"He told me he was looking for the bathroom," Zach explained, taking a seat across from me.

"Oh." I mouthed. I do recall him saying something about needing a restroom. I was too busy keeping Sophia and Seth from killing each other over the TV remote to actually direct him. My hand had just waved in some random direction.

"And I'm sure that you just kindly redirected him. Right?" I asked slowly, sitting up in my seat. The last two people who I need having a conversation are my brother who knows nothing and Drake who knows everything.

Zach averted his eyes, shaking his head. He opted to look at the family portrait on the wall.

"I'm supposed to be protecting you," Zach whispered, scolding himself.

"This isn't your-"

"I know it isn't my fault, but it is my job to keep it from happening again, and I am failing at that." He stressed.

The worry in his eyes mixed with the anger in his fist did not make for a good sign. People do unpredictable, crazy things for the ones they love. They're blind to the consequences that will follow, and there are always consequences.

"What did Drake want from you?" I asked, ignoring his last statement.

Zach's expression sobered, and his eyes fixed on me with severity.

"If you don't tell me who it is today, he's going to tell me tomorrow." He stated, his gaze unwavering.

"He can't do that." I immediately protested, sitting up from my spot on the couch.

"Yes he can and he will," Zach warned, leaning forward. "I'm not going to watch you die."

Drake and Zach didn't know who they were dealing with. Neither of them has ever felt the weight of Chris' foot on their chest. Chris has never turned their entire chest black and blue. No one's ever made them feel this helpless.

The sad thing is that I'd rather have his heel pressed into my black and blue chest every day of my life than feel what he's going to do to me if Zach gets him into trouble. Chris wouldn't be in detention forever, and when he got out, his death threat would become a promise.