10 | A Scale, A Mirror And Those Indifferent Clocks

"And it's inadequate to describe where I am" - A Scale, A Mirror And Those Indifferent Clocks

-

Avery P.O.V.

"Come on Avery. Don't be such a grump," Sophia pleaded, standing outside of my car door with a pout. I just shook my head at her and crossed my arms over my chest.

I know I said I would participate, but now I'm tired and would much rather be in my bed. I'm sure if Sophia knew what happened to me today, she'd immediately send me home. At the same time, if I told her she'd start interrogating me. She's gone an entire hour without bringing anything up and I'd like to keep that streak up.

Sophia pursed her lips and squinted at me before reaching to unbuckle my seatbelt again. I immediately grabbed her wrist in my hand and gave her a slight jab on her waist where I knew she was the most ticklish.

She yipped in surprise and yanked away from me. While she gave me the death glare, I leaned back in my seat with an amused smirk. We held each other's stare for a few beats until a slow, coy smile spread across her face.

Sophia opened her car door as much as it would go. I cocked my head and watched her with furrowed brows and she stalked closer to me. She slid her hands towards me with sensual deliberation. I held my breath as she swung a leg over my lap and adjusted herself so she was straddling me.

The car didn't allow for perfect positioning, but that didn't take away from the intensity of the moment. Sophia crowded my space to the point where there was nowhere else to look but into her eyes. Mischief danced there; unbounded and unapologetic.

I should've been afraid. She had me completely captivated and under her spell. My hands were drawn to her waist, circling her as if she was the one who needed protection. It should've terrified me how her skin felt like flames beneath my fingers, even through the layers of clothing.

But the only thing I felt was fascination. My heart was crashing against my ribcage, begging to join her mischief in their freedom. It begged to feel without repercussions for once.

Sophia's face leaned in close. Her eyelashes brushed against mine, beckoning them to close. I complied, slowly closing my eyes and gripping Sophia's waist to compensate for the loss of sense. The only sounds I could hear were my harsh breaths and my erratic heart.

Her nose dragged up my throat and there was a sharp inhale from me. When she reached my jawline, her face pulled away from me. My heart fluttered, waiting to experience Sophia's next touch.

Suddenly, there was an indistinguishable click and Sophia's weight disappeared from my lap. My eyes flew open just in time to see her yank me from my seat. I stumbled with a startled gasp but was able to go through the motion without actually falling.

With a hand over my chest, I struggled to gather my bearings and get my breathing back to normal. Sophia wasted no time shutting the door behind me and locking the car as I recuperated.

Once I was able to fully comprehend what had just occurred, all I was able to do was watch Sophia with an open mouth. She stood there sheepishly, twiddling her thumbs over her stomach. I was frozen in place as waves of emotions washed over me.

The first to come was embarrassment. It came with the desire to be swallowed by the ground and sputters for an explanation. The next was anger. It made my fist clench and my teeth grit together to keep something crude from getting past.

The last to come was indescribable. Maybe because it was hard to separate from everything else I was feeling. But it made me grab her hands in mine and slam her against the door of the car.