27 | Supriya

"The misery of my lack of truth. With the truth of love" - Supriya

-

Sophia and I left Bailey's Glass 30 minutes later. Before I departed, Marisol and I held each other in one of the tightest embraces we've ever done in our years of knowing each other. When we pulled away from each other, we held each other at arm's length, locking each other's gazes.

We knew that a part of us was over weeks ago. Saying goodbye to that chapter was painless and smooth. Maybe because there was no real beginning; Marisol's kisses were fading out just as easy as they faded in. Getting the chance to hold her in my arms one last time made the farewell, in a way, blissful.

"Marisol is nice," Sophia commented quietly when I eventually joined her in the car. I closed the car door and turned to her, nodding in agreement.

"Most people wouldn't use that word to describe her but..." I trailed off with a laugh, turning to face the window. Troublesome was usually the word of choice, but it always came from the people who never took the time to know her.

"She should come to your birthday party next week," Sophia suggested with nonchalance as she pulled out of the parking lot. My head whipped around to face her with speed fueled by my great confusion.

"What birthday party Sophia?" I asked slowly, watching her nervous facial tics.

The last birthday that I celebrated was my 14th when I got to high school and committed social suicide. Zach and my parents still got me presents, and once or twice Marisol has come to visit, but it's been a long time since I've had a birthday party. I don't even know how Sophia found out that my birthday is next week; I most definitely didn't talk about it.

"It'll be fun Avery. There's going to be cake." Sophia sang, pointedly ignoring my question.

"There's going to be cake where?" I pressed, rewording my question.

Sophia nervously chuckled and shrugged off the question.

"Think of it this way. Your birthday is on Wednesday, and our date is on Saturday. Two fun and exciting things happening in one week!" She cheered, and I rolled my eyes at her incorrect math. Only fifty percent of that statement was correct.

"Sophia, you know that I'm looking forward to our date, but I don't want a big party. I just want my birthday to be a normal day." I pleaded.

"It's not going to be a big party!" She quickly reassured me. "And you have to throw this party. Normal days are for losers."

As one of the most popular girls at our schools, Sophia's definition of a "big party" is severely skewed. A small party to her probably looks like a 50 person minimum. Sophia is also friends with at least one or two of the people who have bullied me, and trouble comes in threes. It's bad enough I have to deal with them at school. But after hours? That's too much to ask for.

"Hate to break it to you Soph, but you're dating one of the biggest losers at school," I informed her, sitting back in my seat.

We reached a red light so Sophia could look over at me with a pout that I wanted to kiss away. My wish must've read clear on my face because she was soon leaning over the middle console to press her lips against mine for a brief moment.

She turned her attention back to the road before someone could honk their horn at us, and then smirked in my direction.

"Well at least you're pretty and a good kisser," Sophia joked, and my cheeks were painted red. "But really babe, we've got to have this party. It's going to be great."