Limbo

Artist credit: @tanimaichi on Twitter

Adora

February 20, 1596

The familiar smells of Bright Moon float through my window as the sun comes up. The birds sing happy tunes as the villagers get up and start going about their day. My eyes hazily open to my bright pink princess room. Sweaty laundry is strewn on the floor, my armor and sword lay in a pile on the floor covered in mud, and the remnants of last night's sleepover were scattered throughout the entirety of the room.

"Glimmer get up" I whisper shaking the purple-haired girl who was snoring heavily.

"Wha-what?" she says yawning.

"We were supposed to come up with an escape plan last night, remember? Instead, it looks like a pillow threw up all over my room" I say sighing heavily.

"Hmm," she hums going back to sleep. I roll my eyes and try to get out of bed. Unfortunately, I trip over Bow who is sound asleep on the floor.

"Oof!" I yell as I land on my stomach.

"Huh!? Adora! Why are you on the floor?" Bow says startled.

"I could ask you the same thing," I say pointing to his makeshift bed. He shrugs in response. Glimmer's snores cut through the silence. "Well I'm going to go get breakfast now, do you want anything?"

"Can you get some toast with sugarberry jam please?" Bow says interlacing his hands together.

"Yep," I say walking out of the room. I walk through the hallways nodding at the guards I pass on the way. I make it to the kitchen and see Queen Angella staring off into space.

"Your majesty?" I ask as I curtsy (very badly).

"Huh? Oh hello Adora, good morning" the majestic woman says smiling slightly. She was so reserved compared to Glimmer.

"I was just getting breakfast, I didn't mean to get in your way," I say awkwardly rubbing the back of my neck.

"Oh no it's fine, I was just getting some coffee, please help yourself," she says cheerfully. I nod and begin preparing Bow's toast.

"Glimmer told me you were planning an infiltration mission of the Horde Kingdom," she says sipping her coffee nonchalantly.

"Uh your majesty I didn't mean-"

"It's ok, Captain, relax. My daughter told me the reasons behind your devotion to this secret mission" Angella says with a concerned look.

-a month ago, the night of Adora's birthday-

"Light Spinner! What were you doing in the Fright Zone Adora?" Razz says questioning me.

"Um I didn't mean to-I-I wished to see Catra" I mumble, my head racing with questions.

Razz's eyes widen. "Did you see her?"

"No, I heard her, she was locked in a room. I was going to find out more when I ran into that lady-I mean Light Spinner and well you know what happens next" I say.

Razz looks mad and almost frightened. "Stay away from the Fright Zone Adora, promise me you won't get involved with the girl in the woods anymore," Razz says grabbing my hands.

I gulp. "Ok," I say lying through my teeth. Razz hugs me and I feel the guilt go down to my heart, causing it to race with the unsettledness of all of this.

-back to the present-

"I-I just need to make sure she's ok, that at least she's safe" I mumble softly.