Recovery

Art credit: kaifu_ato on Instagram                      

Catra's POV:

My head hurts...

More physical than mental...

Why do I feel like this?

The memories flash before me as the ringing in my ear gets louder. I gasp sitting up, my eyes flying open. I looked around quickly, the room was not recognizable and very bright. I close my eyes as I adjust to the sunlight in the room. I hear a sigh at the end of the bed. A figure with golden blonde hair was asleep at the foot of the bed. She was snoring soundly, an arm lazily strewn on top of my legs. I smile and tousle her hair. The feeling was so comforting. I lean my face against her chest, feeling her heartbeat and her torso rise and fall. I trace my finger on her stomach getting sleepy again. Peaceful bliss.

"Agghhhhhhh!" a scream wakes me up. I lurch up and hit something with my head. Adora holds her nose as she blinks down at me confused. She smiles and starts crying.

"Adora?" The girl wraps me in a hug. She sobs into my shoulder as I freeze up, confused. "Adora?" I ask again as she pulls away. She smiles and wipes away her tears.

"I had a dream that-that.." Adora stops talking. A twinge of pain surges through my body. I gasp in pain and lurch down, holding my stomach.

"Catra!" Adora yells, concerned. She holds me and helps me back upright. "Are you still in pain?" Adora asks, holding my hand. Her eyes were sad and heavy. I notice my hand and shriek, snapping it away. Black spots covered my entire hand and arm.

"Wh-Why does my skin look like this?" I say shuddering. Adora moves closer, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. She takes her hand in mine again.

"You were poisoned, Catra," Adora says. She stops. I look back at her, watching her inner turmoil. "You were poisoned by the same cause of your mother's death," she says softly.

"WHAT?!" I say jumping up, alert. I cringe in pain and sink back down into Adora's arms.

"Sorry to startle you, but you need to rest now. We can talk about this later" Adora says, laying me back down.

"No! We need to talk about this now!" I argue but it's pointless to fight. I accept defeat and lay back down on the pillows. Adora places a quilt over me and tucks me in like a child. I frown, unamused.

"What? I don't want you to get cold" Adora says with a shrug. I laugh softly. Adora stares at me with a far-away gleam in her eyes. A small smile sweeps across her face. I hold her hand and pull her down next to me. She rests next to my shoulder as I stroke her hair to the side of her face.

"Am I going to die, Adora?" I ask softly, a lump building up in my throat. 

"No! I won't let you, I promise!" Adora says, holding my face close to hers. She kisses my nose softly. I feel a tear against my face as she moves away, wiping her face.

"You don't know that. My mother died from it when I was just a baby" I say, the words get choked up in my throat.

"But I know you," Adora says, holding my face, her eyes serious. "I know how strong you are, your willpower alone can stop enemies in their tracks. I scoff, laughing amused.

"You're an idiot. That doesn't make any sense" I say smiling.

"I'm your idiot and it makes complete sense" Adora responds with a goofy smirk. I feel my heart thump out of my chest.

"W-Well uh, you um-" I stutter, feeling a blush creep up my face. Adora smirks and wiggles her eyebrows. I burst out laughing and pull her down on top of me, crashing my lips against hers. She catches herself before crushing me and responds with a surprised squeak when I kiss her. She sighs softly as she melts into me.