The School For Gifted Youngsters

{Chapter Twenty-Four}

Abby sat in the passenger's seat of Tony's car reading while she waited for her father to appear from the warehouse in which he was supposed to meet Director Fury

Abby sat in the passenger's seat of Tony's car reading while she waited for her father to appear from the warehouse in which he was supposed to meet Director Fury. Her attention was pulled away from her book when she heard the car door open causing her to look up and see her father getting into the driver's seat.

"He wants to see you," Tony told her.

"Me?" Abby asked slightly surprised.

"Yes, you. I'll wait here for you." Her father replied causing her to open the car door and climb out.

Abby sighed, slamming the car door before slowly making her way towards the abandoned warehouse. Making her way into the room Abby identified Director Fury sat at a table beside another man she did not know. Reluctantly the small girl made her way over to the table and sat across from Director Fury and the stranger.

Once she had sat down across from the two she had a chance to look around more. It was only then she saw another man stood in the shadows. He was a large build as though he spent the majority of his free time at a gym. He was stood in an almost protective stance, causing Abby to guess that he was the stranger's bodyguard.

"You wanted to see me?" Abby asked dragging her gaze towards Fury.

"Yes, I did. We want to discuss your condition with you." Fury told her causing her to drop her gaze towards the table.

It wasn't that Abby was ashamed of what she could do, she was scared. Scared that she would hurt someone, and scared that she could hurt herself. Her mother had had the same worries it was why she had had the girl's abilities dampened.

"What about my condition?" Abby still refused to make eye contact with the man.

"Hello, Abigail." A voice spoke.

What confused Abby was how the voice was heard. It wasn't like when Fury was talking to her, it was almost as if the voice was echoing in her head. The girl's head snapped up as she looked at the man beside Fury with wide eyes.

The man had kind piercing blue eyes that when they looked at you they seemed as though they were staring into your soul. He sat up straight, in a professional manner. His head was void of hair. Abby didn't know what to think about the man, but for some reason, she felt safe around him.

"Don't be afraid," The voice continued softly.

"Who are you?" Abby asked him.

"This is Professor Charles Xavier," Fury told her, but the girl's eyes did not leave the Professors.

"What are you?" If it had been any other situation Abby would have worried about being rude, but at that moment the girl was desperate for information. She had never met anyone like her.

She couldn't read minds, but she could read emotions. She had never met anyone with an ability, especially not one so similar to her own.

"I am a mutant like you," Professor Xavier spoke aloud this time.

"I'm not a mutant." Abby refused with a slight shake of her head.

"Then how would you explain your abilities?" The professor questioned.

"It's part of my condition, but my mom made them go away," Abby answered immediately.

"No, Abby she didn't," Fury argued, "Your mother had us dampen your abilities, but we never took them away. Your abilities are still there, and they have been becoming more powerful."

"What about that guy?" Abby nodded over to the man stood in the shadows, her voice shaking from the slight shock she had from what Fury had told her.

"That is Peter." Xavier replied.

"He's a mutant too?" It was more of a statement than a question. The professor looked over at Peter, probably having a super-secret conversation with him. Peter looked at Abby as his whole body turned to steel.

"Cool." Abby breathed with a small smile on her face.

"I want to offer you my help," Xavier spoke up.

"How are you going to help me?" Asked the young girl as she moved her gaze from the tin man.

"I have a school, for gifted children much like yourself. We will teach you the essentials, like maths, english, science, and history, but we will also teach you how to control your abilities." Xavier told her.

"This is a boarding school, right?"

"Yes, but there will be children like you there. It becomes much like a home to many students." The professor explained.

"This school sounds great and I bet it is really nice but, I have a home. I don't need another. Can I go, my dad is waiting?" Abby went to stand but the professor stopped her.

"What if you didn't have to attend the school?"

"I don't understand." Looking at the professor confused, Abby sat back down.

"What if you came to the school a couple of times a week to train, learn how to control your abilities but continued to live here in Malibu and go to your current school?" Xavier suggested.

"Okay," Abby nodded, "I mean I'll have to ask my parents but okay."

With that, Abby was able to leave making her way out to the car where her father waited. As soon as the young girl had her seat belt on Tony turned on the engine and sped away from the warehouse.

"So, what did the pirate want?" Tony asked as they drove.

"He and this professor guy wanted me to go to a boarding school." Abby shrugged staring out of the window.

"Boarding school?" Tony glanced over to the girl with a confused expression.

"Yeah, there is this Boarding school for mutants, which is apparently what I am. A mutant. This professor who runs the place said that there will be people like me there and that it would become like a home to me." Explained the young girl.

"What did you say?" Tony asked, trying to hide his worry that the girl might decide to leave.

"That I already have a home," Abby replied causing her father to smile, "So then the professor suggested that I stay at my current school and then go to his school a couple of times a week o learn how to control my abilities."

"Well, that sounds reasonable. What did you tell him?"

"Well, I said that I would. But only if it is okay with you and Pepper." Tony smiled at his daughter's reply.

"You want to do this?" The father checked.

"Yeah, I do." Nodded Abby.

"Then I don't see why you can't." Tony shrugged. A large smile appeared on Abby's face and the two fell into a comfortable silence.

When they reached the mansion Tony parked the car and removed his seatbelt before shifting to get out.

"Dad?" Abby spoke before he could open the door.

"Yeah, munchkin?" Tony replied turning back to look at her.

"I love you."

"I love you, too."