Reunion

{Chapter Four}

The months dragged all the time Abby was away from her home, away from her father

The months dragged all the time Abby was away from her home, away from her father. She struggled to sleep but never brought it up to her foster parents. Pepper came to visit her as much as she can while also helping at Stark Industries while Tony was away. Rhodey visited her, but not often since he was out looking for her father.

The first time Pepper came to visit Sofia and Olivia asked lots of questions.

"Who was that lady?"

"Pepper."

"Is she your mommy?"

"No. My mom is dead."

"Then who is she?"

"My dad's assistant. She helps take care of me."

"Like a nanny."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Did your daddy not take care of you?"

"He did. He does. He is just busy. Pepper helps look after me."

Pepper couldn't help but worry about Abby. It was clear that the ten-year-old had been struggling. She was paler than usual, no child should have bags under their eyes. When they weren't talking Abby would curl up beside Pepper and sleep.

Abby had issues at school too. A week after her father's disappearance she had arrived at school to be harassed by reporters. Olivia and Sofia had rushed into the school and got a teacher. The teacher had informed the reporters that they were trespassing and harassing a minor before tending to a distraught Abby.

Since then either Naomi or Kevin had to walk Abby into school and a teacher had to escort her out, for her own safety.

Abby sat at the dining room table eating her breakfast with Naomi, Kevin, Olivia, and Sofia. The family of four sat talking about everything a family would. School, work, what they were going to do Saturday afternoon. They tried to include Abby in the conversation but like every morning she remained silent.

She didn't mean to be rude, it's just she didn't know how to act like everything was okay. It was only when the doorbell rang that she looked up from her fruit.

Kevin stood from his seat and went to answer the door. The room went silent when he walked back into the room with Ms. Lewis following behind him.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I need to speak with Abigail." Ms. Lewis said.

The rest of the family turned to the youngest in the room who stood silently. She walked towards her social worker and followed her into the sitting room.

"Is something wrong?" Abby asked when they sat on the couch.

"No, nothing is wrong. Abby, we got a call from Colonel Rhodes they found your father." Ms. Lewis smiled.