Sibling Bonding

{Chapter Thirty}

Trigger Warning: Mentions of abuse

Amber stood outside the lab a phone pressed to her ear as she paced speaking in hushed tones to the person on the other end. To those who could see her, she looked to be having an argument, which was not completely wrong. The voice on the other end of the phone snapped at her causing her to sigh squeezing her eyes closed.

"I'm sorry, but I have to work." She spoke softly her voice trembling in a flustered manner slightly as she pulled the phone from her ear and hung up.

Amber took a shaky breath as she leaned against the wall of the Helicarrier her eyes held closed tightly not hearing the sound of boots on the floor.

Her attention was caught when a voice sounded from beside her, "That didn't sound like a very pleasant phone call." Amber chuckled at the deep voice, her eyes opening with a sigh.

"Don't start, Fury."

Director Fury shook his head, moving to stand beside the young woman, "I'm not starting anything."

"Yeah, well you sound like Clint.," Amber smirked looking up at him causing him to smile at her with a chuckle. Fury stared at the woman before sighing sadly but dropping the topic, "Do you need something or did you just come out to give me relationship advice?"

Fury looked over at the woman with a slight sigh, "We need you to go in and talk to Loki for us," Amber looked at him her eyebrows raised, "We were going to send in Romanoff but due to his clear fascination with you, I decided you might be able to get through to him better."

Abby nodded pushing herself off of the wall and moving to do her job. Before she walked away Amber stopped to look back at the director with questioning eyes.

"Is it true?" The question caused Fury to look at her confused allowing her to elaborate, "What Thor said about my birth parents. Is it be true?"

When Amber was nine she found out that she was adopted by the Bartons. It was difficult for her to know that there was a whole part of her life that she didn't know about. When she joined S.H.I.E.L.D she decided to do some research about her birth parents. All she could find was her birth mother, who died in a house fire when she was six months old. There was no record of a father and Amber was adopted two months after she was orphaned.

Fury had worked to help the young woman but there was no way to find her biological father no matter how much digging they did. "It could be. We've still not been able to track down your biological father, so it is possible."