Spear Wielding Maniac

{Chapter Twenty-Six}

Amber Barton stood beside Agent Phil Coulson, pulling her blazer tighter around herself to protect herself from the cold, as the helicopter carrying Agent Hill and Director Fury landed

Amber Barton stood beside Agent Phil Coulson, pulling her blazer tighter around herself to protect herself from the cold, as the helicopter carrying Agent Hill and Director Fury landed. She smiled at Maria Hill as the agent walked towards the two closely followed by the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

"How bad is it?" Nick asked the two.

"That's the problem, sir," Coulson replied as Amber sighed.

"We don't know," The blonde woman frowned as she opened the file she was holding.

The four agents made their way through the facility speaking urgently to one another.

"Doctor Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago," Coulson spoke.

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to go to test phase." Fury reminded them causing Amber to chuckle nervously.

"He wasn't testing it. He wasn't even in the room. Spontentanious even." Amber replied chewing on her bottom lip anxiously.

"It just turned itself on?" Maria asked looking at the blonde in surprise.

"Where are the energy levels now?" Fury asked them.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered an evac." Coulson explained.

"How long to get everyone out?"

"Campus should be cleared in the next half an hour." Agent Coulson nodded.

"Do better." Fury instructed causing the man to sigh before walking away.

Amber followed Director Fury he heels clicking against the floor as stray hairs blew behind her. Amber had been working at S.H.I.E.L.D for three years and loved every aspect of her job. She was one of the youngest agents to work with the division but it never bothered her.

"Sir, evacuation may be futile," Hill announced to her boss.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Fury asked sarcastically.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance," Maria explained.

"I need you to make sure the Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out." Fury instructed her.

"Is that really a priority right now?" Amber asked her boss in shock.

"Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech lab below. Every piece of Phase Two on a truck and gone, Bambi, you're with me," Fury instructs the two.

Both women nod speaking simultaneously, "Yes, sir."

When Fury's back is turned Amber turns to the older woman and muttered under her breath, "If that guy calls me Bambi one more time I'll strangle him with his eyepatch."