Chapter twenty

I was on my fourth glass of wine by the end of midnight. My friends were too enthralled by Luca's adventurous storytelling to even notice how quiet I was or that I hadn't spoken a single word, the entire evening.

I wasn't thrilled when Niccolo exited to the poolside, forcing myself to play it cool even when he joined his brother on the lounge chair, after introducing himself to my friends. I sat there, listening to their laughing and joking, and a wave of pity rushed through me. If only they knew.

The evening was rather chill and ran smoothly. It was as normal as one could hope from their kidnappers―putting on a show for my friends―who were oblivious to what was really taking place behind closed doors.

After Kenny and the girls had exhausted the long hours of the evening, they all retreated to their rooms to call it a night. I excused myself to use the bathroom and immediately felt the aftereffects of the alcohol, halfway through the corridor.

Breathe, Adriana. Nothing's going to happen. Just breathe.

I was relieved when I reached my bedroom door, taking my heels off and throwing them to the floor next to me. But when I tried the handle, it was locked. Fuck. I raced to Antonio's door and barged in, sprinting for the bathroom.

A bit of tension was released after urinating and splashing some water onto my face and neck but I paused in the mirror, noticing that my right earring was missing.

Shit. Giada is going to be pissed, those were expensive.

I didn't even bother putting my heels back on as I ran out of the room and down the stairs; I needed to find that earring. Approaching the now dim party room, I heard laughter. The two younger brothers were sitting at the bar with their backs to the door.
Niccolo spoke in Italian, using hand gestures as he groped his chest and they both enjoyed another good laugh.

I balled mine into fists, realizing that he could be talking about one of my friends. I quietly tiptoed across the hard floor and made my way out to the pool, searching the ground for anything sparkly. I spotted the diamond stud on the cushion where I was sat earlier and let out a sigh of relief.

I padded back into the room, frozen in place when Luca turned his head and cleared his throat.

"Adriana, come sit, have another drink." He motioned, patting the empty stool next to him.

"I think I'd rather stand," I replied, my face emotionless as they both fixed their eyes on me.

I braced myself, realizing how vulnerable and exposed I felt in the presence of these two men, who were complete strangers to me.

"I may have underestimated you, Adriana. You have quite the interesting group of friends." Niccolo's tone was mocking, his eyes a fiery beam above the flame of his lighter. "Specifically, blondie, with the nice set of tits. She's hot but unfortunately, dumber than a doorknob."

He raised the cigarette to his mouth, letting it dangle between his lips, which curved into a challenging grin.

I clenched my fists.

"You're not a very good friend. Don't you agree?" He turned to Luca.
The urge to shove the glass further into his mouth and crush his teeth when he raised it to his lips, was immensely strong.