Chapter thirty-four

The shocking effects of cold water prickling my skin caused me to let out a series of high-pitched screams, spewing multiple curse words while fussing to escape from the glass confinement.

"It's too cold! God, fucking―"

"Go easy on the swear words or I'm washing your mouth next."

"You ruined my dress, Antonio." I clutched the soaked through material of the sequined piece of expensive cloth. "I swear to God. I'm going to pee in here, if you don't let me out!"

Antonio's hard expression didn't falter, indicating a clear message that he was unfazed by my arguments or my sober tantrums. Instead, he pulled me under the shower-head, forcing me to endure the freezing water, spraying directly onto my face.

"There. That should wake you the fuck up!"

"Go away!" I screamed, flapping my arms in the air, trying to hit him with my eyes shut.

"You're either going to learn how to control your drinking or you're no longer touching one, until otherwise."

"How about you learn how to control your testosterone and stick to screwing one woman at a time, for once!" I snapped, escaping from his grip and slipping on the tiles like a dog on ice. His arm caught my waist, before I could hit the floor, face first.

I heard the water shut off and I slowly opened my eyes to find him standing directly in front of me, an abundance of melanin staring right through the pain and anguish that he had caused.

As much as I wanted to deflate under his gaze and fall right into his arms, I knew that I had to be strong. If I wanted to survive through what was going to be a very long and harrowing passage to the end of this dark tunnel, I needed to push forward.

Regardless of the angst pressing down on my chest, I took a deep breath, afraid that my voice would crack. I knew that this was going to hurt me more than it would hurt him but he was leaving me no choice.

"I'm tired, Antonio. My soul is exhausted." Maybe Eleanor was right, I wasn't built for this.
Wet strays of black hair fell effortlessly onto his forehead and I had to restrain myself from running my fingers through it.

"You gave me false hope and I took the bait, stupid enough to believe this could turn into anything substantially normal between us."

I mustered another silent breath, summoning the last bit of strength I had in me. I wanted this to be over before I crumpled to his feet.
His silence was killing me.

"That's what I thought." I nodded. "You do you, and I'll get the fuck out of your way." I stomped out of the shower, lifting my guard before he could make any attempts at stopping me.

The next morning he left for another one of his "business trips" to God knows where and I couldn't have cared less.

Or so, I convinced myself.

For all I knew, he would be bedding a completely different woman by the end of the night, which gave me even more reason not to sulk over his absence.

It had been good while it lasted, whatever this was.

I sat in the University cafeteria, poking at my tuna salad and let out a groan as I noticed Daniel from my peripheral view, heading in the direction of my table.