Chapter forty-seven

They say that some of the best things in life are free. But what are the costs of living a normal life, when you are in love with danger?

When you've been drawn into it by a blinding force, but yet, you have no one to blame for the consequences, other than yourself.

What would it take to have a normal evening with your friends and return home in one piece? Was normalcy too much to ask for?

The locks on both doors clicked as the driver passed the curve, leading up the road to the mansion and headed straight towards an unknown destination.

He was on a suicide mission.

My heart palpitations accelerated as I glanced through my window at the blurring scenery that was speeding past us, a horrifying realization creeping into my stomach.

Even if I were to question his motives, he would not understand me clear enough to respond. I slid my hand slowly into my purse, latching onto my phone.

The vehicle came to a screeching halt and the driver leapt out of his seat, charging at me, snatching the purse from my hand and sending the device flying across the floor.
I crouched down in an attempt to grab it but was forced back against the leather seat and he picked the phone up, crushing it against the dashboard, dismantling it into pieces.

I lunged at him, digging my fingers into the side of his face. He let out a whaling grunt, elbowing me.

My cheekbone was pulsating with pain but there was no time for me to lick my wounds because it was evident that this man wasn't playing any childish games.

His mind was set to win.

I curled my legs beneath me, preparing to fight for my life. I sprang my leg forward with all the blunt force that I was able to apply, kicking him in the nose.

Blood splattered out of it, which he didn't bother to wipe and kept coming at me with a cylinder object, which now came into clear view.

"You fucking bastard!" I screamed, climbing onto the head of the seat but was overpowered and outweighed by his strong hold on my neck, before he stabbed me with the needle and I felt the cold liquid oozing through my vein.

He proceeded back to driving. I took the opportunity and jumped on his back, pressing my fingernails into his eyes. The vehicle swerved left and then right as it went off the road. We were speeding out of control while I clung to his neck and clawed at his eyes, pressing my nails until they pierced skin. He tried to remove my fingers but the car screeched to a halt and I was ejected forward. I hung on as the vehicle started again and I was slammed backwards into the seat, crushing me.

The empty syringe sat inches away from his arm. I removed one hand from his head and grabbed for it, thrusting the needle into the side of his thick neck. He grunted like an angry boar, his nostrils exhaling noisily as if fighting for air. He reached for his neck but the vehicle swerved again and he missed, grabbing control of the wheel. I pulled the needle out and stabbed him again, repeating the motion until my arm began to feel tired.

There was scraping of metal as we dove headfirst into the steep forest. The stars were shining bright in the midnight sky through the windshield but their blazing light began to fade in the distance, forming large blotches of gold as my eyes became heavy and fluttered with weakness before everything vanished into a dark hole.