Chapter twenty-seven

There was no evading the tight feeling in my chest as I stared at my trembling hands through a blurred vision. I lifted them a few inches, burying my face into them as a faint sob left my quivering lips, tears falling into my palm-the salty taste reaching the tip of my tongue.

The return to the mansion was silent-aside for the humming of the engine, synchronizing with the muffled cries that continued throughout the thirty minute drive.

Kenny's beautiful makeup was now smeared all over my face, with streams of black ink marking dark lines down my chin and dripping onto my bare legs.

The presence of his callous manner beside me further impaled the pain I was feeling-penetrating the depths of my shattered soul.

His brother was in the front passenger's seat, typing on his phone as if nothing out of the ordinary had occurred, merely half-an-hour ago.

They had finally broken me.

My muscles were sore and tense from the terrifying struggle that Niccolo's sick twisted game had instigated, making me believe I was going to experience the one thing I had dreaded the most in my life. I would rather have chosen death.
How could they take advantage of my deepest, darkest fears?

I had been on the verge of insanity moments before Antonio broke into the elevator, ordering him to stop, for it was enough. The lesson had been delivered.

Particles of glass stuck to my hair from the mirror that had been destroyed by Niccolo's single bullet, landing inches away from my face. It had ricocheted off the wall and struck him in the arm, merely grazing his skin.

I couldn't bear to look at him, yet I needed him to console me like I needed air to breathe at the moment. I wanted him to make me feel safe and protected again.

Had he forgotten?

I was hopeless and irremediable. A psych ward wouldn't be able to fix the amount of damage.

I was once again that fourteen year old girl hiding in the closet, waiting for someone to come and save her, shelter her. Defend her. I would give anything, do anything for that.

Antonio's hands tightened around my waist, pulling me onto his lap and closer to his chest. Straddling him, I hesitantly brought my shaking arms around his neck.

Why did he do this to me?

"How did it feel to be helpless and unable to defend yourself?"

"It felt awful," I stuttered through uneven whimpers that turned into hiccups as I spoke.

"Niccolo was soft. My enemies won't be as merciful if they get their hands on you."

I listened to his words attentively, resting my head on his shoulder, my breathing elevated. His voice was lulling, almost therapeutic. The sedatives were leisurely working their way through my system.

"Are you going to listen to me from now on?"

He squeezed my hip when I didn't answer. Instead, I buried my face deeper into the crook of his neck.
My brain had consequently become smaller than a peanut, if that was even possible.

His fingers caressed the bare skin on my shoulder, brushing lightly along the imprinted ink that held his mark.

"You drive me fuckin' insane, do you understand that?" His lips traced their words on the tip of my shoulder blade.