Chapter twenty-four

Heaven has no rage, like love to hatred turned,

Nor hell a fury, like a woman scorned

-William Congreve

***

The green and purple neon lights flickered across the dance floor, where people were divided according to their social status. Some were stoned out and high as a kite-drenched in sweat, grinding against one another―and others who were observers, stood around with a drink in their hand, waiting for the right opportunity to extend itself.
But there was one individual in the midst of the crowd who stood out from the rest.

Dressed in a short, silver Versace that was solely held together by thin straps across her back-exposing the entirety of it down to her low waistline―her long Auburn hair hanging loosely around her in large waves. She was full of confidence and determination as she made her way across the podium, targeting her culprit for the night.

Her eyes glistened with the glittery eye-shadow that hid the pain and desolation but highlighted the vindictive intentions she was striving towards.

This evening was going to pay for all the suffering that she had endured, and if only for a short time, they would drown out in her sweet revenge.

The man she was dancing on was a victim of her selfish ambition. Fully aware of this, she showed no signs of repentance, for tonight, she was out for blood. It wouldn't take long for him to realize what he had imprudently floundered into but for now, he was enjoying the view of her curvaceous behind-bouncing up and down on his crotch, causing him to lose a partial of his senses.

The man's eyes bulged out of their sockets as he looked up, noticing the words on her shoulder inked in italic. His head shook back and forth as he removed his hands from her thighs, a horrified expression on his face.

The next thing he knew the girl was being dragged away from him, disappearing through the cloud of smoke and he was circled by three extremely intimidating men. He would be lying in a shallow grave by the end of the night.

***

"What the fuck were you thinking?" Her voice was loud and angry but I ignored it, instead focusing on the small raindrops forming on the windshield in front of me.

"Oh, right. You weren't thinking at all when you walked into that fucking club wearing practically nothing, grinding on another man when you knew he was watching!"
I grimaced at the booming vibration of her tone but proceeded to keep my focus on the fascinating streams that were being created by the rain-like they were the most interesting thing in the world.

"Did you even see the look on that man's face? Did you! That was the look of a terrified man, who had just realized the gravity of his mistake, and that this would probably be the last time he would get to see the fucking daylight, Adriana!"

I traced my finger across the fog that was created by my breath, drawing zigzags that looked like snakes, slithering their way up the glass.

I smirked, turning my head her way. "Why was he so terrified, Giada? What was he looking at that scared the shit out of him? Do I have a sign on my forehead that says Antonio's certified whore? "

Giada let out a long sigh, pursing her lips in a straight line. "Stupid, stupid girl." She tugged at the ends of my hair. "Wake up, before you get yourself killed!"

I wished I could fall into a deep sleep and never awaken. My life had been nothing short of a nightmare.

"They call him la bestia for a reason. I practically raised this man and know what he's capable of. The majority of the population in Italy are terrified of his nonpareil ascendency, reasonably so, they wouldn't risk fucking with him. But you, on the other hand―" She shook her head, fingering her temples. "It doesn't seem to sink into your thick skull, and it's going to be the primary reason for your own fatal ruin!"