Part 2

Once my break ended I headed back to the register and began the same boring process. Asking people the same questions over and over again. I didn't think that the day couldn't get any worse but it did. Mrs. Debolt came out from her office and signaled me to come over.

"Register assistance needed." I say into my communicator. I waited for about 5 minutes before someone came over.

"What could I help you with Emily?" Jake another coworker of mine came over.

"I have to go see Mrs.Debolt," I say and I nod my head over to the right a little to where she is standing there waiting for me.

"No problem." Jake then leans closer to me. "I hope that everything goes well."

"Me too. I've already gotten in some big trouble this morning." Then I walk away and into her office and Mrs. Debolt follows me in closing the door behind her.

"Emily. Do you know why I called you into my office this afternoon?"

"No ma'am."

"Your performance here has been lousy. Taking long breaks, taking forever to stack books on the shelf. Do I need to continue on?"

I was embarrassed and angry at the same time. How dare she. There is only so much you could expect from one person. If she only understood. But it was perfectly clear that she didn't and part of owning a business was to connect and understand your employees. Something she clearly needs to work on.

"I apologize ma'am." I then stand up to leave before Mrs. Debolt said,

"And who gave you permission to leave?" I turned back around. I absolutely hated this woman with a passion. I wanted to slap her but I held back the urge.

"I'm done with you today. Get out of my sight."

I then leave, closing the door behind me. Jake then looks at me with wondering eyes as I approach him.

"What happened?"

"Oh you know her. She complained how my performance here has been lousy." I say rolling my eyes and placing my hands on my hips.

"Don't worry about it. You are one of the best employees we have. You love your job and you do your best. That's all that matters."

"Thanks Jake." I say, gently placing my hand on his shoulder. He then took his place at the register next to me and we both worked until 4.

"Well I'll see you tomorrow. Don't forget the meeting at 8."

"Oh thanks! I almost forgot." I then reached into my bag and pulled out a pen and scribbled a reminder on my hand.

***

"Alana! I'm home." I hang my purse and keys on the hook that was on the wall by the door so I wouldn't have to search for it tomorrow morning. Walking into the living room I saw Alana doing her homework on the couch.

"Hey. What did you get today?"

"Biology. I hate my teacher so much. Work after work after work." she huffs.

"I understand. Come on why don't you and I take a break. I'll make a snack. What would you like?"

"Popcorn!" Alana says excitedly closing her book and then setting it on the floor.

I walk into the kitchen to make the popcorn when I then get a phone call.

"Hello?"

"Is this Emily?"

"Yes. Who's this?" The line then went dead. It was extremely weird and creepy but I pushed the thought out of my mind.

"Emily. Is the popcorn ready yet?" Alana shouts from the living room.

"Yes!" I shout back when the microwave just beeped.

"Here we go." I hand her the bowl and then we turn on the tv.

"How was work?"

"Oh the usual. My boss still being an ass."

"I'm sorry." Alana then hugged me and I hugged her back.

"It's okay. She's just not really much of a people person."

"I almost forgot. Mom texted me earlier. She'll be working the night shift." I nod. My mom was a nurse and she has been for 18 years. She was amazing at what she did and Alana and I both admired her for what she did. Normally on the nights my mom had to work the night shift Alana begged me to order pizza. After her maybe saying it 25 times or more I called the pizza in. We had waited about 20 minutes until the doorbell rang and I went to answer it.

"Hi..." I say once I answered the door but I lost my thought when I looked at the pizza delivery guy. He was tall and extremely handsome. He had sandy blonde hair and brown eyes. He looked like the dreamy fictional characters I would only dream about meeting when I would read.

"Your pizza miss."

"Oh.. Right. Thank you." I hand him the money and our fingers brush against each others and I could then feel my face becoming red with embarrassment.

"Thank you."

"Have a goodnight." he said and then smiled and left.

This part is short but I hope you all like it. Thank you all so much for your comments, votes and views! :)

-Katrina