7: There's More Of You?

{Song: Crowded Places by Rynn}

~Edited~

I jolted awake as a shock vibrated from my wrists, not being able to move much since I was strapped down to a cot. "Shock her again, it's been a week and there hasn't been any sign of a change." A disembodied voice commands from another room. 

The man in a full body hazmat suit turns a dial and a stronger shock shoots from my wrists all the way down my spine, having me arch my back of the cot and scream in pain. As the pain fades to a dull ache I melt onto the cot and dry heave as I try and get enough air into my lungs. Weak coughs wrack my body into convulses from the constant shock, my mouth felt like sandpaper. How long has it been since I had something to drink? A day? Or was it closer to a week?

"Take her to The Storeroom and lets try again in an hour." The voice crackles into the room again. The cuffs came off my wrists and I watched as the lights passed by overhead and heard the sounds of the cots wheels squeaking through the halls. 

The room we stopped in was freezing, the cold ate away at my body heat and after a few seconds I realized that I was alone. My eyes scanned the room wildly as I tried to lift my head but barely had any strength to turn my head from side to side. 

There were a few metal tables in the room, and icicles hanging from the ceiling. I was only in a sports bra and exercise shorts, neither one of them did anything to keep my body warm. The shivering soon stopped and I felt my eyes slide closed as my body started to shut down, my exhales becoming shorter and slower. 

But I wasn't given the satisfaction of slipping into unconsciousness. Another person in black gear heaved the door open and walked in with a long stick that was forked at the end. He stood at the foot of my cot, giving me a good look at him as he held up the stick, which made a clicking sound before there was an electrical buzzing and a bright blue bolt of lightning emitting from the tips of the forked stick. 

I tried to plead, but my chapped lips just released a rasping noise as he placed the stick against my right foot. 

I bolt upright in my bed, my mouth opened in a silent scream and my body shivering in a cold sweat. I stay like that for what feels like hours, just focusing on regulating my breathing and calming my tortured mind from the nightmare that had caused me to wake up. 

The small digital clock on the desk read 2:36 am, and after I finally calmed myself down enough to relax back into the bed I knew I wouldn't be going back to sleep. 

I got up after about half an hour and finished unpacking the bag of clothes I had gotten from my old apartment. They only filled up two drawers and a couple hangers in the walk in closet, leaving the majority of the space empty. 

I slide the door to my balcony open and stepped out into the chilly air, the birds haven't started to chirp yet and the sky was just turning into a dark blue. I wrapped the comforter from the bed around myself as I leaned against the railing, just staring out into the dark trees that surrounded the compound.

I could remember every scar that was given to me by the scientists who were trying to trigger some kind of result. The endless amounts of times they shocked me, or sent me to the Storeroom and then tried to burn me. The sampling was the worst, mainly because they kept me awake as they cut me open to test my blood or get a bone or tissue sample.  

It feels like everytime I close my eyes, I'm right back at the HYDRA facility. I don't think either of my siblings went through anything that bad which I am grateful for but it makes me feel like I can't talk to Wanda about it. 

I take deep breaths of the cold morning air as the cloudy sky changes to a lighter shade of blue. Even though the air outside was crisp, the still prominent memory of the Storeroom made it feel hot against my exposed skin. You can see most of my scars on my legs, I was wearing pajama shorts and a baggy sweater. I trace the scar from the shrapnel that had impaled my thigh on the bridge, shivering as I remember how Bucky's arms had felt around me as he had carried me away from the destruction.