20: Where Is He?

{Song: War of Hearts by Ruelle (Slowed and Reverb)}

~Edited~

My brain feels all fuzzy, and my body feels like it has been stuck in a blender that was then set on fire. I could tell I was coming back towards consciousness but while my senses started to grow and become more aware, my eyes remained stuck closed and my body would not move.

"Her temperature and pulse is spiking again, sir" I hear a female with an irish accent comment.

"Are there any other changes, Banner? It's been three days." A deep male voice laced with concern asks. There was a sudden sensation of something small, cold, and circular being pressed against my chest before I hear the scratch of a pen on paper.

"Brain function and heart rate has gone back to normal, and her eyes have finally stopped glowing. She's stable. I just don't know why she's not waking up." Another male voice replies, closer to me than the other.

"It's because she nearly depleted her core energy. The tsunami should not have been able to affect her this bad, even with the opposing energy creating it. Something else must have caused her to lose focus on it." A new voice calls out, the ending of his explanation was more of a question than a statement.

"Yeah Strange, it's Bucky-" The first voice was cut off when a machine started to beep loudly, it felt like my heart had leapt out and stuttered as memories of the fight came back like a flood gate had opened at the sound of his name.

HYDRA, the tsunami, I had reversed it. But Bucky, he had been there to protect me. Bucky was with HYDRA. Again. And I was the reason he was back in his personal hellhole. I need to fix this. But how?

"I think we should talk elsewhere, she is aware of our conversation and does not deserve to find out this way." The third voice, Stephen's voice, tells the others. "Yeah, alright. The others should be at breakfast right now so we can go to the kitchen to talk." Another male voice mentions, sounding tired when he replies to Stephen. I hear multiple feet walk out and the sound of footsteps fade away to leave the room in near quiet, the only sound now was the drip of some liquid and the soft and rhythmic beep of a machine.

It feels like only seconds later that my eyes finally peel open, but the view I was met with told me it had been much longer. The soft light of the moon shines through a window of the infirmary and the lights in the room were shut off, a soft glow coming from the crack under the door that leads out into the hall helps my eyes adjust to the darkness. I slowly shift my head to the other side and see my siblings sitting in chairs, both of them asleep in uncomfortable positions.

If my soul didn't feel dead and empty right now, I would have smiled at the image of Wanda curled up on the plastic chair and Pietro with his legs slung over the metal armrest while his head was resting on Wanda's knee.

I tried to say something but my voice just turned into a harsh breath as it came out. I move my arm towards them achingly slow and finally get close enough to flick Pietro's ear. He smacks his lips together a few times and swats at my hand but remains asleep. Luckily, Wanda seemed to have sensed my new alertness as her eyes fluttered open and she met my eyes. It took a few beeps of the monitor for her to fully shake herself out of the groggy sleep state, but as soon as it registered that we were making eye contact she leapt to her feet and ran over to my side.

"What the fu-" Pietro starts to yell as his head bangs down and hits the other chair's armrest after Wanda's knee disappeared from under it but he saw what had caused the interruption in his resting and with a blur was on the other side of me and clutching my hand tightly.

"Buck-" My voice cracks out and turns into a wheeze after just one word, but it was enough for them to answer what they must have thought I was wondering.