35: Can We Blow Stuff Up Again?

{Song: Arcade by Duncan Laurence}

~Edited~

FIVE YEARS LATER

I was resting out by the lake after my usual morning run, the sun was low in the sky and I could still make out my breath in the cold air. I barely slept last night, yesterday was his birthday and even though it has been a few years there are always days where I couldn't bring myself to leave my bed. Tony and Pepper tried, they even sent Morgan to try and convince me to join them for dinner but when she saw me, all she did was crawl up onto the bed and give me a hug.

The nightmares were bad, but the dreams are always worse. For a few hours while I'm asleep, I have a dream about my family. All the Avengers are gathering around in the living room for some type of activity Steve and Tony claim will boost team morale, sometimes it's movie or game night but sometimes it's just for a family dinner. We would be laughing and enjoying ourselves, I would be cuddling up to Buck and Nat would be with Steve. I always woke up right before Bucky and I could kiss, and reality would crash back down around me.

I watch as the sun rises higher into the sky, letting the cold air settle into my skin before I decide to go inside and shower before Morgan wakes up and wanders over to my cabin. As I stand I get a rush of images. In the first one, Scott Lang is shot out of a van, then another shows him wandering around the streets with a cart before he walks up the steps of a house. The last one is of him walking up to the rusted gates of the old Avengers Compound.

With a deep breath I close my eyes and harshly shove the images away. I'm retired, none of that concerns me now.

I had just finished pulling on one of my old sweaters when I heard the little patter of footsteps approaching my cabin, a muffled burst of giggles announcing the visitor more than the footsteps. "Good morning Auntie Ali!" Morgan giggles as I open my door at the same time she scrambles up the last porch step and runs into my arms for a hug.

"Good morning Mini Stark. Does your father know you're here?" I ask, knowing the answer. She doesn't answer verbally, just letting out more giggles before she jumps down the stairs and bolts over to the fort we had made that was in between my small cabin and the Stark residence.

"Ali! Have you seen Morgan?" Tony calls out as he makes his way out of his house and towards me.

"Nope, haven't seen that little monster." I reply with a shake of my head as I come to a stop next to the fort and watch Tony move towards me. A series of giggles and rustling emits from the small fort, giving away Morgan's position and causing Tony to roll his eyes.

"You know, your lying has gotten rusty. You might want to go take another retreat with HYDRA." He remarks jokingly.

"Yeah? well you should go back to space. You were much more enjoyable from way up there." I retort with a smile as he pats my shoulder, returning my smile with a small amount of worry left over from yesterday. The three of us stay at the fort and play around for a few hours, Morgan's personal favorite was playing heroes and villains. For three rounds of this game, we forced Tony to be the villain before he gives up completely and tells Morgan it's time for lunch.

"Do you want to join us?" Tony asks half-heartedly, knowing that there was a good chance I would say no. His eyes light up with surprise when I follow them toward the main house, "Did you cook?" I ask hesitantly.

"Nah, Pep is going to make mac n cheese and chicken nuggets for the children and there is stuff for sandwiches for the two adults who have a more refined taste." Stark replied, clearly jabbing at me.

"I have no idea what you are talking about. Having Mac n Cheese with a glass or two of wine is my self care." I respond as I lightly shove Tony's arm who just rolls his eyes and mumbles something about my tolerance being more like a bottle or two of wine. I ignore his comment, "Besides, I'm good with eating anything as long as you weren't the one who made it." I smirk but Tony just groans out before lifting up his daughter and heading inside as I follow behind.