Prologue

Anais gasped in horror as her mother dragged the knife forcefully across Quinten's throat. Anais quickly embraced the little sleeping Isabel. Anais tried to turn her head away from the terrifying scene of Quinten gurgling helplessly, pressing his hands to his fatal wound, but she was petrified.

Quinten turned his head toward Anais, and she felt tears well in her eyes as she saw the betrayal blaze in his eyes. Mother, why? Anais untangled herself from Isabel as gently as she could in a hurry. She moved instead to hug Quinten, burying her head into his shoulder. "Don't die, Quinten. Stay with me. Please," she whispered desperately as her tears poured out of her eyes.

She gulped when she felt the faint touch of Quinten on her back, trying to return her hug.

She lifted her head to look into Quinten's eyes, both of them covered in his blood. He smiled at her - or he tried to - it resembled a grimace more. She smiled back, shaking her head and crying. A clueless three-year-old, a devastated five-year-old, and a dying nine-year-old, it was a horrible combination.

It was her life.

As the life drained out of Quinten, his intelligent hazel eyes - the only person with them - dulled. His limbs went limp against Anais, sagging against her. His blood was everywhere, and it was the only thing Anais could seem to focus her attention on. She certainly couldn't pull herself to look at her half-brother's face or her sleeping half-sister's. Not to mention her mother's.

A firm hand gripped Anais's shoulder and pulled the weak girl away from her limp brother. Mother, what are you doing? Please leave me alone! I've done nothing wrong. Instead, her mother hugged her. "Mother?" Anais whispered, her voice barely distinct.

"My baby," her mother cooed, stroking Anais's hair affectionately. "You'll be safe. We don't need boys in our life, Anais. All they do is ruin things."

Anais pulled away and stared at her mother in shock. Her mother went insane because they pushed her too hard. Being a prostitute was hard enough, but impregnating her three times and then keeping her "working" was too much for anyone. Suddenly, a sharp pain pierced through Anais's left ear. She shrieked.

"Don't worry, baby," her mother's smooth voice said, her green eyes glazed over. Her smile was eerily tranquil. Her mother had forced an earring into Anais's ear. Her earring that her mother had given her.

She gave a gift for the favorite child and death for the boy. Even at only five, Anais understood that that was no place for children to grow up. She wriggled out of her mother's grasp and moved to Isabel.

"Mother, I'm sorry. I love you, and I promise I'll take care of Isabel. I promise you." Anais said. She gave her mother one last reluctant hug before she dragged the now half-awake, confused Isabel out of the whorehouse. Her mother's desperate screams echoed through the hallways. Until Anais heard the earsplitting bang of a firearm. Her mother's scream stopped abruptly, and Anais gasped in horror.
Shielding Isabel, Anais forced herself out of the dark, cramped brothel, avoiding any men trying to capture her to return.

---------------------
hi! welcome to my story! i have based and will base my story on the comic/anime. i do not own any of these characters except for the ones that i created. i hope you like this story because i am having a lot of fun writing it.

heh, i do. sometimes i imagine myself as an oc character and end up talking to myself when i'm alone, imagining these extra scenes and special things for them/us to say. yeah, no, i'm perfectly normal :) this story is one of them. it's a way to cope.

if you like this story, please tell me in the comments or vote.

thank you! ///..///

*Anais - Ahn-I-yees