Chapter 11

Roisin tried. Honestly. But Anais was too fast. The miniature girl took no hesitation to disappear amongst the impenetrable leaves. Roisin sighed, receiving a sideways glance from her friend, Ira "Are you okay?" Ira asked with a concern edged in her voice. Roisin caught Ira's discomfort as she tried to keep with Roisin. "You seem awfully distracted."

Roisin slowed for Ira, shaking her head dismissively. "Nothing important. I'm just bothered by something stupid. It's kind of foolish, actually," Roisin replied. She returned Ira's skeptical stare with a weak smile.

Who was she kidding? She was not okay, but she spoke the truth. Being bothered by the situation was downright pointless. Roisin would've thought she'd outgrown these immature emotional games. She ground her teeth together. Not yet, apparently.

And Kellan Allaband, of all people? For God's sake, Roisin couldn't have fallen for a worse person. Roisin toyed with her controller, unconsciously following Anais. Aim, fire, hit, reel, repeat. Roisin twisted her body within the forest, flipping and evading twigs and branches. Having her hair snagged in a tree would be embarrassing. It wasn't that Kellan was a faulted option. Quite the opposite, Kellan was the perfect person. He was breathtaking, witty, and charming. Dammit, Roisin, stop it. And, sure, Kellan might have been a playboy of some sort. He was a tease and had caused all girls of the Utopia District to fall for him at some point. But he didn't mean it. At least, that wasn't how Roisin saw it.

Kellan was just naturally like that. He knew his effect on girls, that was for sure, but he never meant for them to fall for him. It was conceivable that that was what fueled his ego.

Roisin, on the other hand, was a flirt. She loved it when she had absolute control over the simple minds of boys. Roisin knew what to say and how to act to attract the attention she wanted. She enjoyed how much power she held when she had fully grasped the strings of the heart. Ugh, she was sick. Of course, she had always steered clear of Kellan Allaband. The boy was too dangerous to be her toy. Roisin was terrified she would fall for him. Then he'd break her heart. No, that wasn't how Roisin Ilyra played.

Well, she predicted her doom just fine, too. Because here she was, staring at the back of Kellan Allaband. His tousled hair whipped in the wind, golden underneath the gleaming rays of sunlight that peeked through the leaves. Roisin's eyes lingered on his body. His toned muscles beneath his thin white shirt, taut from being in the ODM gear. Roisin felt her face heat up, and she quickly looked away, covering her mouth with her hand. Not now, Roisin. The flag, the flag.

Come to think of it, Kellan had only ever submitted to one girl. She was a weak but elegant thing with hair the color of gold, and she had the rare eye color of violet. The girl was nice (at first) and pretty, and she allowed Kellan to court her. Then, she used Kellan to her full advantage, gaining popularity expeditiously. After a year, Kellan, still unaware, finally wooed her over. Their relationship ended soon with Kellan breaking up with her. The girl had cheated on her. Bitch. Roisin flinched and hastily tried to erase the nasty thought from her mind. She didn't even know the girl. She shouldn't make irrational judgments like that.

Roisin sighed. She toggled the top trigger to fire her grapples, then the bottom trigger to fire the compressed gas. Finally, she pulled the lever to reel the wire back in. Things didn't change much in the Training Corps. Half the females in camp had the hots for the handsome blond, and Roisin had caught a few western division girls eyeing him. Poor creatures. Kellan's attention really only belonged to one.

Roisin frowned. In all honesty, she could fully understand the appeal of Anais. The fair-skinned girl had the most prepossessing smile Roisin had ever seen, and it never ceased to exist. Her sleek hair was so black it contained blue highlights, often reflecting all colors under the sun. Anais had the face of an angel, too. With a slender nose, a dainty mouth, and large captivating eyes, the color of emeralds. Personally, those were Roisin's favorite. Anais's eyes glittered whenever she smiled, whether the smiles were fake, mocking, or delighted, and they shone with analytic intelligence whenever she was in action. Even Roisin had to admit the interaction between the two was adorable.