2: School

"Where is it? Where is it?" my aunt frantically muttered, running around the kitchen.

"It's on—"

"I've checked my bedroom, the kitchen cabinets, the coffee table—"

In her haste to find her glasses, my aunt tossed an apron onto my head. I wrinkled my freckled nose in distaste and plucked it off my curls.

"Crap! I don't know where else to—"

"They're on your head, Jo," I said loudly, watching as she came to an abrupt spot.

My aunt Jo turned to face me and slowly plucked her eyeglasses off of her brown box braids.

"You could've just led with that, Rose!" she flailed her hands incredulously.

I gaped at her. "I did... you weren't listening."

"Whatever. Put on your shoes, missy. You know, I'm gonna be late on my first day at work because of you," she hurriedly buttoned her suit and left the kitchen.

"And I'm gonna be late on my first day of junior year because of you," I retorted with a sigh.

I dragged myself away from the granite kitchen island, walking through the plain hallway of our new house. Maneuvering my way past the cardboard boxes that needed unpacking, I came to a stop in front of Jo at the main door.

"How do I look?" She puckered her red lips. Her long braids framed her perfect, dark-skinned face.

"Pretty," I smiled.

"Thought so," she winked, handing me my backpack and opening the front door.

I smiled at her predictable response and followed her out the door. My aunt felt more like a sister than a parental figure. She was only about ten years older than me. When she took me in she'd been forced to grow up pretty quickly. I guess it was the reason she was still so immature.

We hopped into her white, old-fashioned Honda, and my aunt instantly sped off.

"My gosh, I love this town," she gushed. "Burnsley. It sounds perfect."

I glanced out of the window to see what she was talking about. Kids running around chasing each other, moms flowering their front gardens, adults walking their pets... I could see the allure to it. Nothing I hadn't seen before though.

"This place is gonna be different. I can feel it."

I said nothing and leant back. Never heard that one.

Yawning, I fluttered my eyes shut. "Wake me up when we get to school."

"Nuh uh missy," she lightly slapped my arm. "It was your choice to stay out late. I told you to be back before sunset. And what do you do? Come home at nearly midnight! You're lucky I love you, otherwise—"

"Alright, I get it," I rolled my hazel eyes.

"You better," Jo confirmed in a heartbeat.

"You're evil."

"Thank you."

Leave it to Jo to take that as a compliment. I almost said something, but was interrupted when she pulled to a screeching halt.

"Get out," she said. I almost frowned, thinking she was kicking me out of her car. Though, she quickly added, "we're here."

I glanced out of the window and towards the giant building that I would now call my school. Probably not for long.

"Burnsley High," I read the giant letters aloud. "Shocker."

A normal person would probably be a little more nervous about something like this, but I've been transferring schools my whole life. This wasn't my first rodeo. Hopping out of Jo's car, I smoothed out my plain, fitted sweater and turned to say goodbye. However, she suspiciously stared me up and down.