8: Movie Night

The next day, Romano invited Lily and me to come over and binge movies. Unfortunately, Lily declined—something about having too much homework. Though, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to hang out with Romano again, so I happily accepted. It was a shame he didn't attend Burnsley High. Otherwise, we'd probably be seeing a lot more of him.

"Mean Girls, Clueless, all of the Harry Potter movies–"

"I don't think there are enough hours in a day to even watch all of those movies, Ro," I giggled, interrupting his list.

He frowned at me on FaceTime.

"But–"

"I'll see you when I get there," I playfully warned him to cool it. "Bye."

"Fine," he dramatically huffed. "Just know that I hate y–"

I hung up on him, amusement dancing across my face.

"That boy," I muttered.

My phone dinged. I was exasperated to see Romano had spammed me with a series of crying-face emojis. I snickered at his theatrical antics before turning off my phone and continuing on my long journey to his house.

• • •

After a tedious walk to the other side of town, I finally came to a stop in front of the large house.

"Woah," I mumbled in awe, taking in my surroundings.

Beautiful magnolia trees littered the front of the house, and sprinklers watered the unbelievably green lawn. The front hedges were shaped and trimmed to such precision, that I wondered if a professional gardener had done it.

"He has a water fountain," I said in surprise, "with a swan."

After enough gawking, I began to walk along the stoned pathway. I rang the doorbell and apprehensively stared up at the tall front door. It looked like it could fit an entire family of giraffes. Though, if that surprised me, then boy was I shocked to see who answered the door.

"Flower," his husky voice said expectantly. "Come on in."

There was an evil little smirk dancing across Antonio's face. He'd clearly been waiting for me.

I was rooted to the ground and stared at him in shock. "What are you doing here?"

He gave me a smug look. "Oh, please. Like you didn't know this was my house. You just can't get enough of me, can you?"

"I had no idea you lived here," I blushed, to my annoyance. No wonder the house looked so familiar.

"I'll say I believe you just for your sake. Now, you coming?"

When I made no move, he rolled his dark eyes and began to close the door.

"Wait, I'm coming," I snapped out of it and placed my hand on the door.

He opened it again with an annoying, tell-tale smirk plastered across his face.

I rolled my hazel eyes and walked in, taking a look around the front hall. A grand, crystal chandelier was hung up at the very top. Red velvet curtains were pushed aside to allow sunlight to pass through the marvelous high windows. There were no family portraits, though I was so distracted by the beauty of the house that I didn't question it. Vases of flowers were stood atop a marble table. The exquisite paintings, the grand mirror, the luxury staircase that was so tall it looked never-ending—I didn't quite get the opportunity to appreciate it the night of the party, but oh my, this house was breathtaking.

"Your house is gorgeous," I said in awe, slowly prying off my jean jacket and hanging it up on the coat rack.

Antonio said nothing, but I could feel those dark eyes of his watching me.