6: Meet The Gang

"I did cartwheels? On the middle of the road? In front of a car? And Antonio Brown pulled me away? Then he lectured me? And I laughed at h–"

"Yes, yes, yes to all," I exasperatedly looked at her.

Lily and I were in one of the many guest rooms in Antonio's grand house. The plush, white bed we'd slept in was so comfortable that we'd only just woken up, and it was well into the afternoon. Lily wasn't at all wrong last night when she'd said the houses on this side of town were bigger. His house must've been triple the size of mine. It made me wonder how rich he was—or rather, his parents.

Suddenly, Lily squealed and excitedly latched onto my wrist.

"Are you still drunk?" I skeptically surveyed her, despite knowing full well that she'd vomited into the front hedges of Antonio's house last night—a minor detail I omitted for her sake.

"No," she chuckled. "I'm just so happy you dragged me to that party."

"Really?" I laughed. "I thought you'd be embarrassed."

"Not really," she frantically shook her head. "I talked to more people in one night than I have in my entire life. And I got drunk for the first time. Hell, I slept over at Antonio Brown's house! If you'd told me any of this yesterday, I would've called you crazy. This was the best night of my life," she blissfully sighed, collapsing onto the pillow next to me. "And it's all thanks to you."

I wistfully sighed. "At least one of us had a good time."

The smile instantly slipped off Lily's face.

"People like Buzz are what's wrong with the world. To lay his hands on you..."

She got up from the bed to pace up and down the guest room. It sounded a bit grim, but I was fascinated by the way she seemed so distressed by this. She truly cared. Something told me our friendship was only soaring from here.

"I know," I eventually replied, looking down at my wrist. It was still sore and rather red from when Buzz had pushed me to the ground.

"Did he do that to you?" Lily gasped.

I immediately hid it. "Yeah," I admitted.

"He should not get away with this," Lily anxiously bit her nails. "I don't get how you're not furious."

"Well, Antonio already beat him up," I said hopefully. "Speaking of, how do Antonio and Buzz know each other?"

Lily stopped pacing and plopped down on the floor. "He's Antonio's rival. They go way back."

"Rival?" I crinkled my freckled nose. "What is this, Karate Kid?"

Lily snorted. Before she could muster a response, a commotion from outside the bedroom made us snap our heads up.

"There's no one there, I already told you!" Antonio's muffled shout carried through the door.

Lily and I glanced at each other in confusion.

"I thought he said his parents were out of town!" I whispered in alarm.

Apparently I wasn't quiet enough, because a loud voice from the other side of the door said, "I just heard someone talking!"

There was a slap. Then a groan and the sound of someone hitting another. Then, the door banged open. I must've resembled a dear caught in headlights, though I relaxed to see that it wasn't Antonio's parents at all. There were boys. Tall boys. Hot boys.

I looked at the one on the left first, who looked both shocked though happy. His hair was dark and curly, and his brown eyes darted between Lily and me. Between the height and features, there was definitely a resemblance between him and Antonio. Brothers?