12: Bob & Benny

"Did you seriously think I wouldn't notice you were gone?" Jo questioned furiously.

I breathed. "I'm sorry!"

"I was this close–" she pinched her fingers real close, "to calling the police!"

I gave Jo a miserable look as she continued her rant.

"I mean, Rose. You can't just stay out all day without at least telling me. We've only been living in this town for a few days. You barely know your way around. Something could've happened!"

I didn't bother arguing with her because I understood her protectiveness. After all, we were all each other had. "Alright, I'm sorry," I apologized again. "I can explain."

There was a long silence.

"Well, go ahead," she crossed her arms.

"Oh, right!" I said sheepishly. "So, basically... I–uh–"

"Rose Adams you better not be trying to come up with a lie," she firmly stated, getting up from the chair. "I know good and well you were with a boy. I saw you through the window."

"Alright, fine, I was!" I reluctantly gave in.

The angry look on Jo's face was wiped away. "Girl, spill!"

I laughed and jumped onto my bed, beckoning her over.

"Okay, so it all started when I bumped into this guy on the street. I was on my bike, he was on his skateboard, and..."

I ended up telling Jo pretty much everything, only omitting minor details. For example, I didn't mention the secret spot Antonio had shown me earlier today. Rather, I told her he took me to the park. It was wrong to lie, but it also felt wrong to tell anyone about the spot. Antonio told me he hadn't shown it to anyone else before, so it felt like our own little secret.

"I'm so happy you're liking it here, Rose," Jo happily smiled. "What'd I say? This town is different, I told you!"

"Yeah, maybe," I thoughtfully admitted.

"I trust you, just be careful. You know how teenage boys are," she caringly warned, as any guardian would. "Speaking of boys, I started talking to this guy at my new job."

My interest was piqued. "Really?"

Something to know about Jo–she didn't do dating. She was more of the cool, independent aunt. To hear that she'd taken interest in someone had surprised me.

"Who is he?" I rolled over on my stomach, swinging my feet in the air.

"He's actually the boss. His name's Bob."

"Bob," I repeated with a nod.

"Oh, I don't even know how to describe him. So tall, so dark, so handsome," she clapped excitedly. I laughed at her antics while she continued. "He has a son about your age, who I've already met. It'd be nice for you to meet him too."

"Meet Bob? Or his son?"

"Why not both!" Jo got up with a gasp. "I'll organize something for Saturday night. We can do a dinner at our house. Cook some food, clean up a bit..."

"Yeah, that sounds nice. I can't wait to meet him," I smiled at Jo.

It was nice to see her excited. A part of me always felt guilty, because when Jo took me in, she'd been forced to grow up faster than she should've. She never even had time to go to college, let alone dating. Jo deserved a shot at love. Everyone did.

"Alright, missy, enough gossip. It's bedtime," she lightly scolded. "Make sure to wake up on time for school tomorrow."

I nodded, though if being late to school meant having "detention" with Antonio, I'd be late every day.