45: Final Night

"Uno!" Romano yelped, for what must have been the thousandth time that night.

"I give up," Lily dramatically slammed her cards down.

"He's cheating," Antonio growled at the same time.

"No, I'm not," Romano insisted. Though, I'd seen him stuff a card up his sleeve when he thought no one was looking.

"Alright, I think I'm gonna head to bed," I rubbed my eyes before a fight could ensue.

It was our final night at the cottage. Things had gotten pretty intense earlier, though after having Romano reveal the truth, I felt we'd been brought closer in a way.

After spending the day out and venturing through the remote town, we'd retired to playing card games while sprawled out on the floor of the living room. Multiple arguments later, I was ready to call it a day. Unfortunately, the others couldn't say the same.

"Sleepyhead," Antonio poked my cheek, though a betraying yawn escaped his lips quickly after.

I lazily smiled at him and planted a kiss on his cheek. The innocent action brought light to his eyes. His hand weaved into my own and he gently kissed me back, an action that did not go unnoticed by our friends. They began to emit noises varying from sounds of pure adoration to groans of disgust.

"Awww!" cooed Tabitha.

"Get a room," Lily playfully teased.

"Not while I'm eating," Benny protested all the way from the kitchen.

"You can't even see us," I rolled my eyes at his dramatics.

"Of all the men in the world, you choose him?" Romano questioned me, wildly gesturing towards his now offended cousin.

"Hey, what'd I do?" Antonio quirked a brow.

"For starters, exist." Romano laughed, though the amusement quickly left his face once Antonio rolled up his sleeves and launched in his direction.

Just as I expected, a fight broke out between the two cousins. Benny strolled into the room and stepped over the two of them as if this were an everyday occurrence–which it was. I laughed and stood up.

"That's my cue. Goodnight."

"Wait," Romano pried out of Antonio's chokehold, "aren't you forgetting something?"

"A kiss goodnight?" I teased.

"That'd be nice, but no." An excited, and frankly, concerning look flashed across Romano's face. "Annual cottage ritual."

Antonio let go of him and the two shared suspiciously excited grins.

Although they hadn't said a word, Benny seemed to know exactly what they were getting at and lowly scoffed. "The two of you..."

Antonio and Romano merely chortled. The girls and I shared confused looks, though I quickly caught on.

"We are not going skinny dipping right now," my eyes widened.

"Well, obviously not," Romano slyly grinned. "We have to get drunk first."

The group was a mixture of laughs and protests.