26: Great Minds Think Alike

After a long day at school, I decided to postpone my homework and go on a bike ride. My horrible sense of direction combined with the piercing wind quickly made me realize that this was a bad decision. However, my legs took over in place of my brain. I didn't even realize I was at the spot until I pulled up in front of the familiar woods that Antonio had shown me. It was like my body knew exactly where to take me.

I was so used to being led by Antonio that it took me a bit of time to find the clearing, though when I did, I was stunned to see that I wasn't alone.

My first instinct was to hide behind a tree. I squinted my eyes at the figure, and relief washed over me once I realized it was Antonio. Completely still, he lied on his back with an arm behind his shaggy head. His eyes were closed and I almost thought he was sleeping.

As I steadily approached him, I stepped on a twig on the ground. I gasped when he jumped up.

"Relax!" My heart raced. "It's just me."

"Well don't just creep up on me like that," he yelped after recovering from his initial shock. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," I raised my eyebrows.

"Don't act all shocked. This is my spot," he childishly replied.

I was exasperated. "How was I supposed to know you'd be here?"

Annoyance wiped off his face, and he coyly grinned.

"Admit it, Flower. You just can't stay away from me, can you?"

"Do me a favor and humble yourself."

He only laughed at my irritation. I glanced around at the deciduous trees surrounding the clearing. A red leaf trickled down and landed in front of my feet. When I looked up at Antonio, he was already lying back down on the ground.

"Well don't just stand there." He lazily gestured me over.

I chuckled and went to lie down next to him on a bed of autumn leaves.

"Y'know, I didn't think you'd actually come back to this place," he admitted.

"I didn't either," I softly replied.

We grinned and turned our heads to look at each other. Although, the smile quickly slipped off of my face.

"Where'd you get that cut?" I slowly traced the thin, red line on his cheek.

"Fell off my motorcycle," he grimaced.

I gasped. "I told you! That thing is a death trap."

Antonio laughed, but it didn't reach his eyes. I wondered if he was telling me the truth...

"Hey, uh, do you have a girlfriend?" I asked. "Just out of curiosity."

"Or out of jealousy," he suggestively smirked.

I nudged his shoulder. "You wish."

His smirk only widened. "Why do you ask?"

"Just answer the question," my left eye twitched.

"Fine, I don't. I've never had one," he admitted. "What's it to you?"

Skepticism was written all over my face. "Never?"

"Never," he confirmed with a lazy shrug.

I'd only bothered asking because of my earlier confrontation with Kimmy and Beth. I suppose it would've made sense for them to be angry with me, if one of them was dating him. Now that I knew they weren't, I realized there was no excuse for them—they were just plain crazy.