14: Fight

We'd spent the next hour jamming to the music and playing a casual game of volleyball. Most people were drinking and smoking, though I chose to refrain. However, I suddenly wished I hadn't, because it would take a whole lot of alcohol to get me through what happened next.

Romano, Lily and I were lounging around the bonfire, aimlessly chattering among our peers. Empty solo cups were discarded onto the sand, and our faces were illuminated by the flames in front of us. Though, the relaxed atmosphere quickly disintegrated when Romano slowly looked up.

"Hey, who's that heading over here?" he asked.

We all followed his line of sight across the beach. I squinted my hazel eyes.

Lily spoke in a confused tone. "Is that...?"

She didn't even have to finish the sentence. Clad in polo shirts and neat hair, a large group of the private school kids were steadily approaching us. Leading them all was Buzz, and next to him were his two minions, Finn and Lance.

Benny had scared the three of them off about an hour ago, but I realized they hadn't actually left. They'd merely gone to recruit some back up. A handful of girls were with them as well.

"What are they doing here?" I asked in disbelief.

"Isn't it obvious," Romano winced, chugging the remains of his cup. "They're crashing."

And with those final words, we all straightened up in preparation of what was bound to be an ugly confrontation.

Antonio and Benny had been loitering off to the side among their other friends, oblivious to what was happening. However, Buzz's shout promptly alerted them of the incoming threat.

"Hey, pretty boys," he hollered sarcastically.

His friends behind him snickered. The air immediately became hostile, and someone lowered the music. Everyone shut up, and those playing volleyball quickly stopped to survey the scene. Meanwhile, Benny put out his cigarette and took a threatening step forward. Surprisingly, Antonio placed out an arm to stop him.

"What are you doing here, Buzz?" Benny glowered.

"I'm here to party. Was I not invited?" He falsely pouted.

As if Buzz's head needed any more inflating, the small group of girls behind him giggled. His arm boastingly wrapped around the curvy blonde next to him. Despite her innocently twirling her hair, there was a conniving smile on her face. Outrageous whispers erupted within our group.

"Beth, what are you doing with them?" Marcus Jones stood up from the log he was sitting on next to the bonfire. I remembered Lily telling me he was captain of the Burnsley High football team, which explained why he looked so betrayed to see a fellow cheerleader hanging with our rival school.

Never mind that—I realized that the familiar blonde was Beth, the same girl who had called Lily and me losers at the first party of the year, in jealousy that Antonio had been with us.

"I thought Beth had a thing with Antonio," I whispered to Lily next to me.

"Well, they never actually got together. It was more of a one-sided thing," Lily muttered back. "This must be her revenge against Antonio for blowing her off—screwing his enemy. Although, it doesn't exactly look like he cares."

We looked at Antonio. True to her words, he looked as uninterested as ever.

"Do yourself a favor and leave," one of Antonio's many friends declared. Others voiced their agreement.

"I mean, this is an open beach," Buzz retorted with an annoyingly pleasant smile, raising his arms. "Anyone can come if they want."

We all watched with baited breath, waiting to see if the situation escalated. Antonio clenched his jaw. Although he remained still, I could tell Buzz's presence was beginning to get on his nerves.