18: Benny Bear

"So," I stiffly cleared my throat.

I awkwardly glanced around my living room, hazel eyes flickering from the leather couch to the white curtains.

"So..." Lily replied, trailing off.

There was an uncomfortable silence. I looked between Lily and Benny, who were both sitting down next to me on the plush couch.

Allow me to backtrack. A few weeks had passed since I told Romano and Lily about my family, and I half expected them to bolt. I mean, who would want to be friends with someone so damaged? The other half of me expected them to treat me differently. Perhaps pity me for my traumatic past. I'd hate to be treated delicately. Even if it didn't look like it, I had thick skin.

Thankfully, Romano and Lily refuted my worries. They'd been incredibly supportive, and I think my confession had even brought us closer.

Jo and I had also made up that same night. We could never stay mad at each other. Speaking of Jo, she and Bob decided to kick things up a notch and make their relationship official. Since they were dating, it meant I'd be seeing a lot more of Benny.

Lily and I had been lazing around my house, when Jo told me she'd invited Bob and Benny over for dinner. This led me to the present moment.

Jo and Bob, ever the lovestruck couple, were off drinking wine in the kitchen. Meanwhile, us teenagers lounged in the living room. Knowing what had happened the last time Benny and I were alone, I forced Lily to stay for the evening.

Things were incredibly awkward. Lily was shy, Benny was unfriendly, and well, I happened to be the only one talking.

"Why don't we put on a movie?" I clapped my hands.

I was met with silence.

"Okay then..." I awkwardly trailed off. "Horror? Romance? Tearjerker?"

"No!" Benny yelped.

Lily and I snapped our heads towards him in confusion.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Just–don't put on a sad movie," he demanded, a mixture of annoyance and embarrassment.

I turned on the TV with a devious look. "Why? You gonna cry?"

Lily muffled a chuckle and looked away.

"No," Benny scoffed. "What am I, a baby?"

"Okay," I slyly replied. "Titanic it is."

We shared a challenging look.

"Fine by me," he rolled his dark eyes.

I grinned and got up to turn off the lights. When I came back, Benny was already snuggled up in the throw blanket. Despite being a tall and muscular teenager, he looked quite like a baby at the moment. I stifled a giggle and sank into my seat before I began the movie.

• • •

The credits rolled and the movie came to a close. I almost yawned, but the sound of sniffles made me stop and lift my head up. Lily and I slowly glanced at each other in pure disbelief.

"If only she just made space for him on the door..." Benny scornfully muttered under his breath, trailing off in a weepy tone.

"Are you seriously crying?" I asked, debating whether to laugh or console him.

He stiffened, as if suddenly realizing that he wasn't alone.

"No!" Benny barked, wiping at his droopy eyes. "It must be the blanket. I'm allergic... to cotton." He brushed aside the gray throw blanket, and it pooled onto the ground.

"It's cashmere."

"Same thing!"

" You have allergies?" I skeptically asked.

"That's what I just said," he snapped.

I turned around to cock an eyebrow at Lily. We didn't need to say a word to confirm our thoughts. He was definitely lying.

"Not a word of this to anyone at school," Benny threatened with gritted teeth.

I hummed softly. "Pretty bold for someone who cried over a movie."

"Rose..." he warningly growled.

"Alright, alright," I laughed, raising up my arms defensively. "I won't say anything."

He gave me a doubtful look.

"Promise," I insisted.

Benny reluctantly nodded with a tense look. I couldn't help but tease him some more.

"I mean, who knew you were such a softie all along?"

"Could you shut up!" He huffed, crossing his arms.

"I mean, really," I mused as if I hadn't heard him. "You're like a teddy bear. Except, your name is Benny. So you're... Benny Bear!"

"Another word and you're dead."

I was silent, fiddling with my fingers.

"Benny Bear," I softly muttered.

"That's it!"

I yelped and shot up, running around the couch as Benny chased after me.

"This isn't fair, I have asthma!" I whined. "Okay, fine! I'll stop, for real!"

We stopped on opposite sides of the couch, having an intense stare-off.

"Hey, why don't we put on a comedy?" Ever the peacemaker, Lily nervously chucked and interrupted our mini feud.

I gave Benny a look, urging him to agree. At last, he stiffly nodded. We resumed our original seats with him on the left side of the leather couch, me in the middle, and Lily on the right. I grabbed the remote and casually scrolled through the comedy section of Netflix.

"Hopefully Benny Bear won't cry at this," I casually commented, putting on an Adam Sandler movie.

Lily snorted but concealed it as a cough.

"Will you ever let me live this down?" Benny demanded, twitching his eye.

"Hmm, probably not. Ask again in ten years," I answered honestly, the corner of my lip twitching.

Benny swiveled around to face me. The hostility left his face and he looked genuinely confused.

"I don't get it. Anyone else would be too scared to go against me, but here you are challenging me."

"Well I'm not gonna be scared of someone who I just watched cry and snuggle into a blanket like a baby," I laughed.

Benny looked speechless, settling for an eye roll.

"Not my fault this blanket's comfy," he muttered.

"Thought you were allergic," said Lily.

Benny froze and slowly faced forward.

"Start the movie," he gruffly ordered me.

"But—"

"Start."

I laughed and pressed play. The three of us faced forward and began to watch the comedy movie. From the corner of my eye, I noticed the smallest movement. Benny had a smile on his face. By the time I blinked, it was already gone.

• • •

hope u liked this chapter! currently in gym class and i'm supposed to be doing yoga so i'll make this quick.

QOTC: ur fav kardashian sis?
AOTC: kylie jenner

love, emmanuela<3