15: Wounds

"The lights are off, that means she's asleep," I whispered to Antonio. "Keep your voice down."

The two of us were creeping into my house. It was well into the night and I was sure Jo was asleep, hence the quietness.

Antonio walked behind me, taking in his surroundings. It was his first time in my house.

"It's not as big as what you're used to, but it's home," I grimaced, prying off my jacket and kicking off my shoes.

"No," Antonio interjected, looking almost pleased. "It's perfect. Very... comfortable."

I shrugged and led him upstairs, avoiding the creaky floorboards and making sure to tip toe. We eventually made our way into my bedroom, where I closed the door behind us and breathed in relief.

"It should be here somewhere," I muttered, shuffling around in my washroom cabinets. "Aha!"

I slightly cheered once I found the first aid kit, to which Antonio snorted. Nonetheless, I ushered him to my bed.

"Sit, sit."

He obliged and I tilted his chin up, surveying his wounds. I practically winced at the mere sight.

"This is gonna hurt. Try to stay still," I said softly.

While I tenderly applied the antiseptic, he remained completely still. His face was stoic. I knew it must've hurt, and I was rather impressed.

"You shouldn't have gotten in that fight." I lightly reprimanded him.

"Why not?" He scowled. "Finn's a jerk. They all are. You know as well as I do they were just looking for trouble."

"Can't you just ignore it?" I helplessly suggested.

"Easier said than done." A stormy look flashed across his face. "Did you see the way he winked at you? I should've murdered him."

"Goodness," I shook my head, "all he did was wink."

"So you finally admit! He winked at you," Antonio said, staring at me.

I finally caved in. "Yes, I admit, I saw him wink at me. But it doesn't matter, It's just a wink."

"He deserved that beating," Antonio insisted.

I rolled my eyes, knowing there was no getting through to him. I must've pressed a little harder with the antiseptic, because he hissed.

"Easy!" he warned tensely.

"Sorry, sorry," I muttered.

After a brief lapse of silence, he shook his head. "No, it's fine. Thanks for doing all this, you didn't have to."

"Yeah, but I want to," I offered a small smile.

There was a moment of intense eye contact before I eventually looked away and resumed tending to his wounds. After a few minutes, I completed the remaining touches.

"All done," I grinned.

Antonio nodded and lifted a hand to feel his bandages.

"Thanks, Flower," he offered a relieved grin, staring at me.

I smiled in return and began to put away the first aid kit. Meanwhile, Antonio observed his surroundings.

"So this is your room," he said.

"Yup," I confirmed, popping the p.

"You haven't unpacked," Antonio quietly stated.

"What?"

"Your boxes. You haven't unpacked them. Why not?" He continued.

I emerged from my washroom and spectated my bedroom. It was true. Brown boxes littered about the room, lazily pushed aside. Only a few basic necessities had been taken out, like my toothbrush. Almost everything was still neatly tucked away.

"Yeah, I guess I haven't," I uncaringly shrugged. "It doesn't matter. This place is temporary anyways."

I began to get out a pair of pyjamas from my closet. Meanwhile, Antonio persistently followed after me.

"What do you mean? You're not planning on staying?" he demanded.

"Well, not exactly," I gave him a strange look, walking past him from my closet. "I move all the time. I'll probably be gone in a few months."

"So that's what this is to you? Just temporary?" Antonio scoffed.

I pivoted on my heel to stare at him incredulously. Before I could get in a word, he continued.

"I mean, you can't just waltz into my life and leave," he snapped, clenching his jaw with crossed arms.

"Stop acting all shocked. I already told you I move a lot," I defensively scoffed, standing in front of him. "What's with the sudden attitude?"

We had a brief stare-off. I had to crane my neck up to look up at him.

"Y'know what, it doesn't matter. I should go," he bitterly concluded.

I was at a loss for words. "Fine."

"Fine," he bit back.

There was silence, and I stopped my foot. "Well, you know the way out!"

His dark eyes glinted before he stalked out of my room.

After a few seconds, I could hear the front door open and close. Meanwhile, I collapsed onto my bed with an incredulous look. What just happened?

• • •

this might be my shortest chapter yet

QOTC: how tall are you?
AOTC: 5'4. i haven't grown in years

hope u enjoyed, if you're reading this ily!!

love, emmanuela<3