Chapter 5

The first day of games went smoothly for you, not so much for your team, though

The first day of games went smoothly for you, not so much for your team, though. You watched as they did their last penalty lap of the night and cringed. You had literally lost count at this point. With a glance at Kiyoko's book, you realized that they didn't even win one set today.

Daichi had said that it would be another world around here, but you didn't quite know how much that would be true until it was put into perspective. These teams were truly powerhouses.

As the sun set, all of the teams moved out of the gym to go get food before heading to bed. There were a few tasks for you and Kiyoko to complete before you could do the same so you were one of the last few left in the gym.

You looked around at those that were left behind and saw Hinata and Kageyama, which was completely expected out of all of the Karasuno boys. In the court next to them was one figure you recognized. It was Bokuto, the boy from earlier in the day.

Throughout the day of practice matches you had been able to discover that he was from Fukurodani Academy, and he was the ace of their team. He acted so different on the court than he did in that little exchange with you. His energy was so intoxicating you could feel it radiating through your entire body every time you looked at him.

You looked at him now to see him practicing with the setter from his school and that middle blocker from Nekoma that had also caught your eye earlier in the day during his match with Karasuno. He landed on the ground after landing a spike with more power than you had ever seen from a player and yelled, "Hey, hey hey!"

He looked so powerful and he was obviously extremely energetic and outspoken, so why did he seem so nervous the first time he saw you? Had you imagined it?

"Okay, we're good to go," Kiyoko's voice said from behind you.

You turned and nodded, starting to head to the door. While going that way you were going to have to pass by the court that Bokuto and that middle blocker were practicing at, and you basically couldn't stop looking in that direction.

"You've been looking at them this entire time," Kiyoko pointed out.

"Yeah, I find number four a bit fascinating," you admitted immediately.

"Bokuto Koutarou? He is a very interesting player. He's one of the top five aces in the entire country," she said, which made your jaw drop immediately. He was really good but you didn't have a reference of how good until this moment.

You looked back at his court, but you spotted something new. A volleyball was flying directly at you once again. It didn't have quite the velocity of the one from earlier and you had spotted it much quicker, so you decided that you wouldn't wait for someone to possibly save you.

You dropped your arms, quickly making a platform and jumping back so the ball would hit it. It hit your arms as you expected and bounced back towards the court. It wasn't a perfect receive, but it made its way right back to the Nekoma guy's hands as he jumped in the air to catch it. He caught it and looked at you with a surprised look. "Oh, hello there," he said in a snobby voice, which instantly made you laugh. You could tell he was joking around right away just from the energy he gave off.