Chapter 23

That dry feeling you would often get in the middle of the night nagged at your throat as your eyes opened to the dark of Kuroo's living room

As your body adjusted to its surroundings, you became aware of how your head was resting on Kuroo's chest still and how his hand was now absentmindedly placed along your arm instead of interlaced with your fingers. Your other hand was empty, now, too and as you looked down and moved your legs around, you quickly became aware that Bokuto was no longer sleeping on your legs.

You were quickly wondering where he had wandered to, but your first worry was to get water to calm your throat that was currently screaming out for any sort of liquid. Luckily, you were easily able to slip off of Kuroo without him even stirring. He seemed like the type to be a deep sleeper, and that just confirmed it for you.

As you walked out of the living room, you took off the hoodie that was making your body way too hot at this point. Now you were left in nothing but the big t-shirt and your spandex.

Once in the kitchen with the low lighting of a single light above the sink, you started to gently open cabinets to look for a glass. As you opened about your third, a voice made you jump, "They're in the next one to the left."

You froze, almost wanting to scream from the shock of what you thought was your own complete silence being broken, but your brain soon registered the voice. "Kou," you said, turning around. The thing is, no one was there when you started to look around.

"Down here," said his voice again, and you suddenly realized that he was sitting underneath the table. His arms were hugging around his knees as he sat surrounded on all sides.

You started to giggle a bit at the sight. He was a big person, and yet he had managed to make himself look so small underneath Kuroo's kitchen table. "What are you doing down there?"

"It's comfy," he said, but his tone did not sound that of someone who was satisfied to be somewhere.

You quickly grabbed a glass from the cabinet he told you to and filled yourself up some water before asking. "So why do you sound so sad?" Downing the water in the glass quickly after that, you felt relief come to your throat and body as you set the glass down and walked to Bokuto's little chair prison.

He looked at you with big eyes as you moved the chair closest to you to sit in its place. "You're completely sure you're not leaving, right? Like, there's no doubts?"

You looked back at those big amber eyes and sighed. "Well, I'm doing everything I can, but-"

"But?"

"But I can't say anything for sure. I need to figure out my options fully once I'm back in Miyagi."

His arms were wrapped around you in the next second. "You could come to Furkorodani, you know. We have one of the largest exchange programs, I'm sure they'd accept you. And there's dorms or you could stay with me!" he squeezed you even harder. "Just please don't leave."

"I already told you that I wasn't going to be leaving," you said, putting your head into the nook of his neck and shoulder.

"But I couldn't get it out of my head," he whispered. "I don't think I can ever say goodbye to you."

Your heart nearly stopped at his words, but you backed up out of the hug just a bit to look him in the eye. "I didn't expect to form relationships like this so quickly. I didn't think two months was going to be enough time."

His hand came up to graze your cheek for just a moment. "Would it be stupid for me to say that it feels like I've known you forever?"

Most sentences that Bokuto started like that would leave Kuroo making fun of him and you a laughing mess because they were generally actually extremely stupid, but this one simply left you stunned. You took a moment to bask in the words before you said, "Would it be stupid if I felt the same exact way?"

He embraced you again. "Whatever it takes, you're going to be staying here. If we have to get married tomorrow, then so be it."

You laughed at those words, and almost found yourself scared at how much your body didn't react negatively to that proposition. "You're something else, Bokuto."

His body tensed suddenly as he pushed your shoulders back. The movement was rougher than any other one that he had made this entire time. As you looked into his eyes, you saw them darken. "I thought I told you to call me Koutarou, baby."