Chapter 22

Your eyes were wide as the questions left Kuroo's lips

Your eyes were wide as the questions left Kuroo's lips. For some reason your first reaction to his face of distress was to run forward and wrap your arms around him. You put your head to his chest and squeezed him as tight as you could as if he was going to disappear at any moment.

    His arms didn't come down to wrap around you for a second and you almost let out a sob right then. He was mad, he had to be mad at you for never telling him. It was just a panicked moment though because in the next second his hand came to settle on your head and the other arm wrapped around your back. You let out a shaky sigh as he did so, your relief washing over you.

    "Please don't be mad," you said into his chest.

    "I'm not," he said, making his chest rumble in that way that always made you feel every type of way. "Please just tell me what's going on."

    You backed away and looked him in the eye as yours began to sting. "I didn't even think to tell you guys. I wasn't expecting so much to come out of all of this."

    "Tell us what, (y/n)?" came another voice from behind Kuroo and you both turned to see Bokuto standing there only a few feet behind. You felt as if you were going to faint at this point.

    "You- well, I need to- well, I agreed that-" you tried to start multiple times, before taking a big breath. You could already hear Kuroo telling you to just breathe.

    Kuroo reached an arm out to you as he saw the signs of panic that he had seen in you before. It was hard to watch someone so strong in personality dissolve as you did every so often. He told you over and over to breathe, just as he always did when you found yourself in these situations. You complied with his requests and he saw your body lose a bit of its tension. As you tried to speak again, he led you over to the kitchen table where you could at least sit down. He wanted to know the truth more than anything, but he wanted you to be collected even more.

    You looked at both Kuroo and Bokuto who were sitting down in front of you and finally started to tell the real story. "I am here with everything provided on a program, which you probably knew," they nodded in confirmation of that fact as you took another deep breath. "The thing is, that program is over in two weeks."

    The bomb was dropped in front of them and you watched as their eyes wavered. You swore that every time you thought it was better to keep something from them, it always blew up in your face like this. Well, moreso you were always the ones dropping these bombs between all of you.

They never seemed to fully gather their thoughts in the few moments you were paused. Somehow you had managed to leave two extremely talkative people completely dumbfounded.

"But," you continued, and they instantly perked up, "I swear on everything that I am doing all that I can to stay here."

"I didn't realize that your exchange was so short," Kuroo finally responded.