Just the Beginning

It's estimated that hundreds of people go through a store a day. Coming in and coming back out in for about an hour or two. They overfill carts, fuck in the public restrooms, leave messes like children, and talk their shit to workers. It could be worse I guess. I'm already underpaid and struggling to get through 3 out of my 5 classes. I wish life would stop. Let me catch my breath and unwind. But it kept going on and on like the planets in space. How I wouldn't mind if an asteroid came upon this town and fell from light speed. Prayed it would come from the farthest corners of heaven to crash and end all sufferings all at once. Until then, I guess I'll go about scanning milk and plan B.
"Your total will be $20."
"$20??-".
"Yes ma'am." I replied.
"But this item was on the mark down isle?" She says pointing to one of our store's most expensive glass vases.
"I'll check." With that, I began looking around for any information about the price of the vase. Obviously, it turns out it wasn't even near the clearance section.
"I apologize, this vase's price is supposed to be $20."
"Are you kidding- Can I speak to your manager?"
Of course, I called my manager Daniel to deal with the woman. He tells her the same thing I had pointed out. Even so, the woman wasn't backing down.
"Your telling me you put a vase in an isle that wasn't marked down?? Are you scamming people???"
My manager sighs, " Someone must have not wanted it anymore and placed it there. We apologize for the inconvenience."
"Bet it was this bitch ass employee who might add was rude to me. Miss. Y/n is it? I think you should really reconsider your application process to not include harassment."
"Ma'am, please calm down." My manger than whispers to me, "Go help Shay at her station, I got it from here." I nodded heading over to help Shay bag up her customers' goods.

"You alright?" Shay asks.
"Yeah, I'm always the one that lady trys to scam. I'm surprised she hasn't been banned from the store."
"Right, fucking Daniel needs to file a report on her ass already."
"What if their dating?" I whispered. She smirks trying not to laugh out loud.
"Wouldn't be surprised especially if she comes out every week to make a big deal out of shit."
I bagged some food products cheekily as we both rolled our eyes. This place was a mess.

The clock now speeds up to eleven at night. A time where the store is uncomfortably quite and the lights outside give the place a shady glow. It's also the time my shift ends and I get to drive myself home listening to the great words of Eminem and Ed Sheeran. So this special time in my routine has its pros and cons.
"Good night Y/n, also good luck on studying for that test!"
"Thank you and you too!" I shouted back walking into the night while twirling my car keys in my hand. Such a vibrant person she was, Shay. I've only known her for two years after she transferred to my college. Shay was someone that kept me from quitting that trashy store. Always keeps the atmosphere alive and uplifting, truly she's a team player. Unlike Daniel who bosses us around like chained prisoners. And she was definitely unlike me..

Quietly, as I placed myself into my car, I get a text from my mother.

Mom: When you come home we need to talk!

Talk? Did the school tell her I did something?  Or is it simply because she needs a favor? Only God knew what impossible test I was to face this time. I never got a break from the roller coaster of hell that was life.

Arriving home 12:00am.

"Y/n!" My mother shouts as I placed my keys onto its hook by the door.
"I'm here, Finally."
"Did you get my message?"
"Yes."
"Come here with your sister and I. It's important I tell you something." I nodded walking into the living area where my sister sits scrolling through her phone. My mother sits on the couch as well patting the spot besides her. I sit there and awkwardly wait a second in silence before my mom decided to bring about this talk she wanted.
"Did I do something?" I said.
"No. I just thought I tell you guys something."
My sister puts down her phone and speaks,"Your making me nervous just tell us."
"I'm dating again."
"As you should." I say getting up.
"Your not upset?" She says.
"Of course not. You should be able to date. Ryujin and I support you. No need to tell us like this." She sighs in relief. She had no reason to be afraid. We know she had to move on at some point..

"So who made food?" I asked.
"Ryujin." My mother says.
"Really?" I raised a brow.
"Why do you say really like that?!" Ryujin pouts.
"You only ever make packaged stuff. Where's the flavor??"
"Yah, I make bomb food. Don't you dare." Ryujin shouts crossing her arms.
My mother smiles before cutting our argument off, "It's on the stove. You may have to heat it up." I rolled my eyes and walk into the kitchen.

Ryujin had made simple chicken flavored ramen. Which wasn't bad but I liked eating homemade things. Liked to feel as if I was going to die blissful instead of with those chemical induced flavors. Despite that, I still grabbed myself a bowl from the top shelf and scooped in some of the ramen. I was too hungry to just make something else. So, with a fork from a drawer on the other side of the room, I took a bite. Mom was right, it was cold. I wondered what time she had made it. Probably an hour so ago. We never made food at your regular 5 to 6. It was 9 or 10 due to our late work schedules.
"You ran a little late." My mother says walking into the kitchen.
"I know. The manager gave me another talk down on 'ole Karen the great again." I placed the ramen to the microwave for 45 seconds.
"Of course."
"Wish he'd just fire me so I could just focus on studying."
"Don't say that."
"You'd say it too if you worked there."
"I forgot to mention that I'm thinking of scheduling a dinner date with the man I'm dating.  You know so that you and Ryujin could meet him."
"When were you thinking?"
"I was thinking Friday since your off that day."
"Hmm, sure." She smiles widely.
"Okay, then I'll tell him."

It's good to see my mother happy again. She was always down about not finding someone that cherished her as much as dad used to. I didn't blame her when she spiraled out after the whole incident. In fact we were all broken when dad mysteriously went missing 4 years ago. We didn't know why or where. Didn't know if it was considered foul play or just him giving up. But what I do know is that my dad loved her deeply. There was no doubt. So, Seeing her love again was like watching a dead flower bloom better than the first. For that women used to be consumed with alcohol over it all, thankfully she grew out of that rut. It must have been the man she met that turned it all around. A saving grace this was in all reality..

As my food finishes heating up , I wished my mother a good night and I headed out to my room. Soon, I was sitting down eating at my desk quietly until my phone begins vibrating continuously.

Group message:

Doyoung: When will these people stop with these fucking rumors?

Shay: What do you mean?

Doyoung: Apparently it's going around campus that Y/n is giving out blowjobs for $20.

Me: Oh god. Of course they'd make up something like that.

Shay: Jealousy. They are just jealous your dating someone that's not them.

Me: You think?

Shay: of course. Speaking of your Boytoy, doesn't he stay up late?

Me: he probably has the chat muted.

YangYang: I was actually in the shower. And really Another rumor??

Shay: oh your boy is here. And yes.

YangYang : People really do have no life huh?

Me: not really.

Doyoung: let's hope 'you no who' who started the rumor.

YangYang: I swear if it is..

Shay: Literally fuck that guy I bet you he did start it.

Me: what did I even do to him?!

Doyoung: Bets me. He thinks he is big because he got on that scholarship for the archery team.

Me: let's not talk about him. He literally triggers me even when we avoid the forbidden ones name😭

YangYang: I agree.

Doyoung: Sorry, he just makes me want to punch something.

I set my phone down eating the last bit of my ramen. Looking to the ceiling I began speaking to sky up at a force I call god.
"I hate this. Could you give me something other than a life full of this shit??" I sigh because I felt it in my chest that divine intervention was to twist my words up. And so clearly I image god shouting:

"I will show you true pain far worse than you could even fathom."